NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CGE Wrong Pier Placement

matt_baker

On 18/10/2019 at 09:59, philj said:

This is the cable mod I and many other owners did, you dont need it but if you have operational issues then theres some useful info in here. Gary is a mine of info on these mounts, I was close to getting rid of the mount with frustration at one tine, till I did this mod.

http://bendun.net/CGE-UPGRADE-KITS.html

So you may find that after sorting the PA you may have operational issues/ errors when you come to calibrate, if the leads are wrong.

Note, even if the leads are correct and an earthed shell, it doesnt mean all will be well. Sorry bout that. The rj45 sockets in the column are poor quality and give many problems, I remember unplugging and replugging many times trying to get the mount to calibrate. All sorted when I changed the rj45 for screw Din.

So you can probably see why these mounts get neglected in institutions, because it needs someone with dedication and time to sort them, something which schools and clubs cant seem to provide. They are excellent mounts and are superb on goto (5 calibration stars fir goto was very accurate pointing) plus for imaging they are good performers BUT

they arent simple to operate if your not used to them, download the manual before powering up for the first time and do some test calibrations in the daylight.

Oh and one final bit of advice, run from the handbox till you get used to it. Pc interface with nexremote can result in loss of hair, shouting and general depression 🙂

Okay since I've now polar aligned, how would I go through with calibrating the mount?

I read the manual and followed their instructions but nothing seemed to happen and there was no improvement in pointing accuracy

Edit: Also, I think there is some issues with DEC backlash, but I'll have to check up on that

Edited by matt_baker