Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

APT with Nikon DSLR

Astrokev

Hi

I'm hearing good things about APT and am considering giving it a try.

I have a Nikon D300 which I believe is supported, but I've seen on the APT site that it requires a serial cable to connect the DSLR to the PC. But, it also suggests that the serial cable is not commercially available, with some instructions to make one. I'm a bit surprised and confused by this.

Does anyone else use a Nikon (ideally a D300!) and please could you advise what cabling I may need, where I can get this, and how it all connects together?

Many thanks :)

I suppose the D300 doesn't support full USB tethering, i.e. you cannot do bulb exposure. I had the same problem with my D3100 a couple years back. More info and a solution can be found here:

http://www.beskeen.com/projects/dslr_serial/dslr_serial.shtml

Follow the 1st link to the specifics for Nikon.

This worked fine for me.

Sven

Edited by freiform
follow the link ;)
  • Thanks 1

Commercial units are available, albeit not exactly cheap, but if you don't feel up to making your own using the data provided by Sven then you can get what you need from here: -

http://www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_ds.htm

You would need the DSUSB unit and then scroll down to find the appropriate camera connection cable for the D300.

You need to use this cable for the shutter release and your standard USB download cable to save/transfer pictures to your PC.

I use a D90 Nikon with a homebuilt cable similar to that shown by Sven.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gasman said:

Have you considered ControlMyNikon Kev?. might be worth a try it seems the D300 is supported https://www.tetherscript.com/controlmynikon-download/

Steve

Regardless of which capture software you use the Nikon D300 will still require the serial shutter control cable for Manual long exposures and the standard USB download cable.

ControlMyNikon is not the best for astro use, BackyardNikon is much better since it was designed for Astrophotography.

I have both and BackyardNikon is way better for astro, but ControlMyNIkon is better suited to tethered daytime stuff.

I am sure APT will be just as good for astro since it too was written for that task.

Dark skies.

Edited by Lonestar70
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...