NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Synscan USB Adapter

stash_old

IMHO a  mistake by Sky Watcher - they seem to be using Prolific chips in the above new devices.

People with Windows (Linux works ok with Prolific - just if you use them singly ) will remember the problems with Prolific driver chips.  EQdir  and Lynx ,I believe, all changed from Prolific due to same problem.

Maybe Prolific have done major work on Windows driver compatibility so when Windows do an update they dont stop working!

I will be steering clear of them and sticking with genuine FDTI chipped devices.

Hope I am wrong 🙂 so only time will tell.

Last time I looked even genuine Prolific devices don't put a unique serial number in so Windows and Linux have problems identifying the hardware if using more than one device with a Prolific Chip. Same problem with other Manufacturer's e.g. CH340G etc

If someone can confirm that the serial number is now unique that would be handy - I cant find any info other than there EEprom writer disables this field for amendment - but maybe its now unique already 🙂  This is for the PL-203HXD chip which Prolific recommends 🙂 Obviously I dont know what version of Prolific chip Sky Watcher is using but "once bitten etc"

Edited by stash_old