Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Degraded preview quality from DSLR

upahill

A year or so ago I was using APT regularly with my DSLR and enjoyed seeing the previews of each sub popping up during a session, the quality was ok and I could get a real feel for the object, auto stretching would also give me a good indication of the data that was being captured.

Fast forward a few months and I tried out EKOS/Kstars etc and was primarily dissapointed that the previews were shocking quality. Looks like an a grainy pixelated mess on all images. I wasn't quite sure what caused this but it put me off the software and I resigned to going back to APT or trialing SGP once the dome was ready.

A few nights ago I plugged my setup back in as it used to be, APT on the laptop directly connected to the DSLR and the quality was just as bad. I feel like something has changed (and im fully prepared for that to be my memory of how it was) but it just doesnt seem as good as I remember.

I tried my backup SLR and its the same problem, so fairly confident its not an incamera setting that has changed, and the final subs look good once stacked etc. But all previews seem to be worse.

Bright RGB pixels (noise?) seem much more prevalent and obvious in the previews.

Ill try and grab some screenshots tonight if it clears at all.

Any ideas what would cause this?

22 hours ago, upahill said:

the quality was just as bad

Hi. EKOS produces excellent previews here via its fits viewer. Could you post a screenshot of the preview and -a link to- the raw file?

Check: camera set to RAW, M, B and ISO800, usb2 cable to usb2 socket direct.

Cheers

Edited by alacant