NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt 50 & 60 tilt-tuned sale?

For the last couple of weeks Astroshop, Teleskop Express and Bresser on the mainland have had decent discounts on the single stack 50 PT and the 60 tilti-tuned. Does anyone know is there something else coming along, or is this just a sale?
I have had my eye on the 50 for a while now, and although wanting a 60, £890 for a new 50-bf400 and circa £990 for the bf600 version is a considerable saving over current UK prices. I would obviously wait if this was an end of line thing.

Edited by steveex2003

22 minutes ago, steveex2003 said:

For the last couple of weeks Astroshop, Teleskop Express and Bresser on the mainland have had decent discounts on the single stack 50 PT and the 60 tilti-tuned. Does anyone know is there something else coming along, or is this just a sale?
I have had my eye on the 50 for a while now, and although wanting a 60, £890 for a new 50-bf400 and circa £990 for the bf600 version is a considerable saving over current UK prices. I would obviously wait if this was an end of line thing.

Apparently Lunt has a thousand of the tilt tuned 60s to get rid of and when they’re gone that’s it. Not sure about the 50s.

• Thanks 1

Before rushing out to buy the bargain, I would have a think.

In all probability the weak £ has limited sales into the UK. Coming at a time of little solar activity.

If Lunt have a huge number of tilted tuned 60s on the shelf, does this mean users much prefer a pressure tuned version?
Are you happy with amount of light passing through a 400 or 600 version of filter?

I'm not saying avoid these models. But it would be worth asking around other users to obtain their views.

For what its worth. I have a Lunt 60 with pressure tune and bf1200. The choice was in effect made for me because this package came up hardly used and very local.
At the time, other scopes with different configuration were a long way to travel. So I spent on the scope rather than petrol.

The combination I have works well.

But not having tried other variants I am not in a position to give an informed opinion on any reduction in usability or performance from the other options.

Hope this helps, David.

I much prefer the tilt tuned to the pressure tuned Lunts. Have owned a 50mm PT and a 60 tilt tuned and found the tilt tuned just so much easier to tune. While good in theory the PT can be a right pain to tune.

Think Lunt should offer the option of which tuning system.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Thank you for the replies.

I am not in any particular rush. I have sat on this want for the best part of a year now. I am certain that I want an Ha filtered scope, and I am fairly sure that the bet balance of grab and go, and ease of use would be a Lunt 60 BF 600 (single stack to begin with) 

The pressure tuned version will require a little more time squirling of the pennies. The tilt tuned has a very good discount at present on the mainland. I have bought successfully from Astroshop on a few occasions and see no problem with that avenue. The reading of the debate between tilt and pressure leads to the usual analysis paralysis. As best as I am able to discern in the Lunt red tube corner we have a more even (round?) sweet spot and tuning either side of on-band. In the Lunt black tube corner it appears we have an easier to use tuning system with identical on-band performance, but the potential for off centre or a banded contrast sweet spot. The tilt version is currently considerably cheaper than the pressure tuned model by some £600-£800.

i intend to use this on a Manfrotto carbon fibre 055 with an AZ GTI in solar mode.

Given the discounts available I had wondered if a new model, range or package was on the horizon etc.

Edited by steveex2003
Info

I've a LS50 double stack.

The internal etalon is pressure tuned, and i find it a doddle to tune, and do very fine adjustments.

I have a tilt tuned front mounted etalon for double stacking.

Imho the pressure tuned etalon is a really good design, and is what i really do fine tuning with to pull out different features when double stacked.

Double stacking makes an enormous difference - I'd suggest building in this significant cost as part of your decisions ;) it is superb for disc features, and i use it for proms too.  A double stack running at 60mm is quite expensive indeed.  But wonderful of course!

A side comment: the LS50 is not binoviewer friendly, and I strongly recommend the Moonlight dual speed focusser upgrade.  More cost... 😂

• Like 1

Yeah, sadly there is literally nothing about this aspect of astronomy that is even remotely cheap, and I am in no way shape or form well-heeled. I flatter myself on attaining some fantastic bargains on the regular scopes I have. These bargains just don't seem to be about with Lunts and the like, and i've seen maybe 10 or less on the secondhand market this year. I put stock in this, in that those whom have tend to keep. 
Double stacking of course lives in yet further future aspirations. At least the Lunt modular model approach offers this potential.

Edited by steveex2003

Yeah... Ha is darn expensive.  I purchased my LS50 on offer from FLO: it was a customer return (the pressure tuner needed greasing - a common issue, easily resolved).  FLO stood over it with full warranty, tested it and confirmed it was performing fine.  I bought it 2 yrs ago with a nice discount, and I just love it!  FLO were a pleasure to deal with, quickly helping me to be confident about the purchase through our email exchanges.

Just want this solar minimum to pass ;)

I did look through a double stacked LS60 (through a TV binovue no less!) and it was truly jaw dropping - it was before i picked up my LS50, and the sun had some nice activity on it ;)