NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fitting motor focuser to Skywatcher dual-speed Crayford?

Hi!

I have a Skywatcher motor focuser (the same type that is sold under a whole lot of names):

Now, all instructions I can find on Youtube etc show the attachment of this motor focus to refractors with a single speed Crayford. Could anyone help how to mount this to my scope? I´m not very good with these things 🤣

My focuser is the Skywatcher Dual-Speed Crayford 2-inch Focuser and the motor focus I´ve got is this one:

https://www.astroshop.eu/motors-controls/skywatcher-auto-focus-system-for-telescopes/p,11469

Would that motor unit also be possible to control via USB from a computer? If so, how?

It’s pretty straight forward. This Youtube vid will give you the idea.

You will need a usb motor controler to control the focuser from your PC as the focuser is just a dc motor and the stock control box just alters the voltage.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

It’s pretty straight forward. This Youtube vid will give you the idea.

You will need a usb motor controler to control the focuser from your PC as the focuser is just a dc motor and the stock control box just alters the voltage.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-dc-focus-controller.html

Hmm, I actually had watched that video before but I thought there was a difference since he had an ED80 and I have a 150-PDS Newtonian. I also got confused by the bracket things not seeming to fit my focuser since they were curved. Now I see that his is as well and it doesn´t seem to matter.

Might give this a go tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help!

I found that to get really slow focuser movement you need the pc control with a usb control box. The Hitec one has regular speed control or simulated stepper control for super slow movement.

The standard control box that comes with the motor isn’t that slow even on the slow setting.

Edited by johninderby

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I found that to get really slow focuser movement you need the pc control with a usb control box. The Hitec one has regular speed control or simulated stepper control for super slow movement.

The standard control box that comes with the motor isn’t that slow even on the slow setting.

Ah, but with a controller it works? My plan was to get a Hitec (or similar) anyway since the whole point was to be able to adjust focus from indoors. Enough of running out in my pyjamas in the middle of the night to refocus ;)