NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M24 Small Sagittarius Star Cloud - a new one on me!

Stub Mandrel

I must have clicked on M24 instead of M25 back on the 17th, because I thought I was imaging an open cluster so this had me confused for a while. I tried  t yping M24 into Stellarium and it appeared to match but I couldn't see a 'cluster'. Astrometry.net found it under the name IC4715 but it wasn't until I read it up that I discovered this is not really a cluster, but a bright , crowded part of the Milky Way with some dark nebulae. Colour isn't great thanks to the LP and low altitude. So although not  brilliant image, quite exciting to discover what it is!

But I have to  try more targets in Sagittarius next summer, especially if I can get to a dark site in early September.

M24.thumb.png.75398fb6486dfb79c7e3a8e9f70b21b8.png

• Like 6

I've done the exact opposite.  I have an image "M24.tif" that I took in 2009 but only managed to identify a few months ago.  It is  M25.  The whole area is full of fantastic stuff.

Edited by don4l
  • Like 1