Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The big thread on members viewing sessions...read on

MKHACHFE

When i was a member of AboveTopSecret (before its spectacular downfall), i started a few mega posts on various space missions and events like the Jupiter Juno probe and Cassini (my favourite mission) where members would post updates and discussions rather than starting a new thread every time. Just made sense to have all the info in one thread. 

I know i haven't been a member here for very long, but i think a "session" thread could work. After coming in for the night, members could post what they saw, didn't get to see, etc... Could be interesting, or could fail from the get go. 

I will start it and see where it goes. Mods, if this isn't the right forum to post this in, i apologise. 

My session report from tonight, below:

Disclaimer: this is copied from another thread i made yesterday

I went out last night intent on spotting Neptune with my XT8, RA 9x50 finder, 25mm plossi, 10mm Baader CO and 2x Barlow....and easily found it..haha

OK, so, it was a gorgeous clear night again tonight and i went out at 10.10pm, intent on hunting down Neptune. I had found it by 10.15. Surprisingly easy to locate with the help of Stellarium and my lovely 9x50 RA finder.  I used my 25mm plossi to centre what i was certain was Neptune, then switched to my 10mm Baader Classic Ortho and got confirmation. The slightest hint of blue was seen, or imagined. Then i added the 2x Barlow and after having some trouble focusing, I'm almost certain i saw a tiny bit of the planet disc and possibly a bit of bulge from Triton. 

Of course, I'm happy i got to spot it and marvel in what i was looking at from my little garden in the UK, but i was hoping for a bit more of a challenge. Maybe half an hour or an hour of star hoping and searching...this was way too easy thanks to Stellarium. 

It was so clear i thought i would look at M31 before heading inside and it really was a surprisingly lovely view, considering how meh it usually is. Amazing to think it will fill the sky in a few billion years...

And when i looked away from the eyepiece a gorgeous meteor with a glittering trail flew by overhead...the icing on the cake for tonight's brief session. 

Cheers

• Like 1

East Coast Spain: Two weeks on the trot and counting. Clouds usher in, night after night, day after day. We're all a little wary of them now. Thankfully the rain has stopped for a while.  It blew away the sun, the skies and all the stars. Killed people and countless animals, devastated homes, a lifetime destroyed in the time it takes to read this sentence. By sheer good fortune, our village lies above the local river. More rain is forcasted for Friday and Saturday and then hopefully we'll be done. Here are some pics :

571476542_VillageFloods.jpg.8885a08787f6c354d55c5b91c0d4cff0.jpg

Edited by Rob Sellent
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Rob Sellent said:

East Coast Spain: Two weeks on the trot and counting. Clouds usher in, night after night, day after day. We're all a little wary of them now. Thankfully the rain has stopped for a while.  It blew away the sun, the skies and all the stars. Killed people and countless animals, devastated homes, a lifetime destroyed in the time it takes to read this sentence. By sheer good fortune, our village lies above the local river. More rain is forcasted for Friday and Saturday and then hopefully we'll be done. Here are some pics :

571476542_VillageFloods.jpg.8885a08787f6c354d55c5b91c0d4cff0.jpg

I was actually in Valencia last week on a commercial shoot and our shoot day at a cliff side villa in xabia was cancelled due to the storm. 2 died that day sadly...😕

Apparently 500 cars were washed away as well. Crazy weather.

Being an extreme weather geek, I was keeping an eye on the live lightning map of the area all week and the number of strikes that hit that region was nuts.

I feel bad for everyone affected.

Hi,

After some consultation amongst the mods, we will lock this thread and ask that members carry on posting separate observation reports as normal.

Whilst some topics suit being put together in 'mega' threads, such as the 'Postman' and 'Show us your.....' threads, it is better that observations are individually posted and titled so that they are easier to find in future and so that other members can comment more easily on specific topics. Great information would tend to get lost if all bundled in together.

Thanks for your understanding.

Stu

• Like 4

• Stu locked this topic