NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7635 The Bubble Nebula

Jkulin

I tried for this last year but the filters I was using created Halo's.

I know the moon is that big white thing in the night sky, but couldn't resist trying for it with virtually identical settings as I used for Melotte 15, as its position was very similar.

Acquisition details are the same as follows: -

Technical Data: -

RC10" Truss
Moravian G2-8300 MkII CCD
Lodestar X2 Guide Camera
QHY-M OAG
Moravian 7 position 2" FW
Chroma 3nm HA, OIII and SII 2" unmounted filters
iOptron 120EC Mount which is finally starting to produce the goods and guiding around 0.3-0.4
8x1200s of each filter, 8 hours total
Processed in PI and finished in PS CC2019
Bortle 5 Skies 19.51sqm

Processed in PI:-

Batch Processed
ABE
Histogram Stretch
TGVDenoise
SHO Combined
Magenta Removal
SCNR - Green
Various Stretches
Miultilinear Transform
Unsharp Mask
Then into Photoshop for a final tweak

Here's the link to Melotte 15 from last week: -

I have the detail but still am unsure about the noise, but for now it will do and I can always revisit. I am wondering if the noise is a by product of the Moon?NGC7635_PS_1200x900.png.2928b3a61fc9a344455388d3fb84a8b7.png

Here's the Bumf: -

NGC 7635, also known as the Bubble Nebula, Sharpless 162, or Caldwell 11, is a H II region emission nebula in the constellation Cassiopeia. It lies close to the direction of the open cluster Messier 52. The "bubble" is created by the stellar wind from a massive hot, 8.7 magnitude young central star, SAO 20575 (BD+60°2522). The nebula is near a giant molecular cloud which contains the expansion of the bubble nebula while itself being excited by the hot central star, causing it to glow. It was discovered in 1787 by William Herschel. The star BD+60°2522 is thought to have a mass of about 44 M☉.

Even though there are more clear nights forecast this week, I need some sleep as I didn't get to bed until after 6 this morning and I am going to stay in Selkirk on Friday and Saturday, so hopefully I'll get a chance for some widefield of the Milky Way?

• Like 7

I find wit the Moon up (and bright) you need a lot more data.   Once thing you can do is drop the brightness--that will tend to diminish the noise--which tends to infect low signal areas.  You have plenty of brightness to work with.  Very detailed image, and nice colors.

Rodd

Thanks Rod, I'll have a mess as soon as I get a chance, the Ha was really nice, just lacking a little contrast, I have another variant that I was working on that has a lot less noise, but misses out on the contrast, I'll get a couple of hours sleep and then have a bash later.

Thanks for your advice: -

image.thumb.png.de5d7e06f676e4fce0b1ab5e61ba5f91.png

• Like 2