Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Full aperture film filters for big dobsonians

Paz

Does anyone have experience of solar observing with a big reflector and a full aperture filter.

I was wondering about options for improving the white light views I gan get compared to my st120/Herschel wedge which is currently my best white light set up. Swapping the st120 for an apo may happen at some point but a full aperture mask for my dobsonian would be only £130 or so, or I could make an off axis for just the cost of a square of film - £20.

The detail I can see on the moon with my VX14 far exceeds what any of my other scopes can do, even with an aperture mask so I got to thinking about using it for solar.

I'd be interested to hear any comments or experiences.

Unless you can provide an off axis mask for your 14" larger than 120mm I doubt that you would see much of an improvement. I have a 8.5" refractor on which I use a 8" aperture filter and it gives better detail than my smaller refractors if the seeing is good enough to support the aperture. Your best upgrade would probably be a better refractor and a Herschel Wedge.  Oh, and a more active period of the solar cycle!     😀

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Unless you can provide an off axis mask for your 14" larger than 120mm I doubt that you would see much of an improvement. I have a 8.5" refractor on which I use a 8" aperture filter and it gives better detail than my smaller refractors if the seeing is good enough to support the aperture. Your best upgrade would probably be a better refractor and a Herschel Wedge.  Oh, and a more active period of the solar cycle!     😀

I've got an off axis mask I often use, mostly for  lunar and doubles at low to mid magnification. That is 137mm so I could get a full aperture filter and use it full aperture or use it with my existing aperture mask and have both options for the price of one.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

You might go up to really large apertures....

1070_SolarObs_full.jpg

Dr. Erhard Hänssgens DIY Dobsonian, here shown with it's full aperture of 42".

Here's the full read:

http://www.cruxis.com/scope/scope1070.htm

Stephan

That is big! I think it would take nine of my 14" scopes combined to gather the same amount of light!

• Like 2