Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ioptron Cem60-ec PA issues

souls33k3r

I seriously am pulling my hair right now and no love for the new mount right now. I just can't seem to get along with this new mount. Another night being wasted and I haven't even managed to take one sub yet. 

When I polar align (using PoleMaster) the mount, my star jumps which isn't really evident when I first made the video but when bringing it back to home position you can clearly see in the video below. 

In PHD2, my polar alignment error shows up as 50 arc minutes. 

Please help. 

Hi.

Before you fall out totally with the new mount (I took delivery of my new CEM25-EC yesterday) have you tried a fully manual polar alignment?

I was very frustrated with my mount last night because the supplied LynxAstro cable would not let me link the mount and PC - now sorted with a StarTech FTDI UART from Amazon in conjunction with the iOptron supplied RS232 cable.

I've set up for a first night with my CEM25-EC tonight and, ok it took me quite a while, but I managed a fully manual polar alignment (once I'd got the pole star in view - not the the easiest polar scope to get your eyeball on the end). I found the alt and az adjusters quite tricky to use - it was very much an iterative process to get polaris exactly where it needed to be according to my iPhone App. The mount is now tracking perfectly taking 120s exposures without guiding and I hope I am getting my first SHO of the Squid.

I don't know how accurate my polar alignment is but at least I'm getting somewhere - after three years of a NEQ6.

It is very different to the NEQ6 but so far I am very impressed so I do hope you get the problem sorted. I'm sorry I have no experience at all of a PoleMaster so I cannot comment or help on whether it is the CEM60 or PM that is causing the problem for you.

Hope you get it sorted.

Good luck.

Adrian

59 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Hi.

Before you fall out totally with the new mount (I took delivery of my new CEM25-EC yesterday) have you tried a fully manual polar alignment?

I was very frustrated with my mount last night because the supplied LynxAstro cable would not let me link the mount and PC - now sorted with a StarTech FTDI UART from Amazon in conjunction with the iOptron supplied RS232 cable.

I've set up for a first night with my CEM25-EC tonight and, ok it took me quite a while, but I managed a fully manual polar alignment (once I'd got the pole star in view - not the the easiest polar scope to get your eyeball on the end). I found the alt and az adjusters quite tricky to use - it was very much an iterative process to get polaris exactly where it needed to be according to my iPhone App. The mount is now tracking perfectly taking 120s exposures without guiding and I hope I am getting my first SHO of the Squid.

I don't know how accurate my polar alignment is but at least I'm getting somewhere - after three years of a NEQ6.

It is very different to the NEQ6 but so far I am very impressed so I do hope you get the problem sorted. I'm sorry I have no experience at all of a PoleMaster so I cannot comment or help on whether it is the CEM60 or PM that is causing the problem for you.

Hope you get it sorted.

Good luck.

Adrian

Cheers for kind words Adrian. I literally am on the verge of falling our with this new mount. Seriously, i've wasted (including tonight) 4 clear nights trying to dial in issues but i'm still no where near. 

I will be starting a new thread and get some expert opinion on a lot of the issues that i've been having because if not, then this mount is going back because i can not afford the hassle this mount has caused me so far.

7 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

I will be starting a new thread and get some expert opinion

I'll follow with interest because I am sure the two mounts have much in common and I too have much to learn. iOptron Commander is very different to the familiar EQMOD and using it alongside SGPro and CdC has had me scratching my head this afternoon and tonight.

My first few slews were, I thought, no where near the target star and then I decided to slew to M31 and it was almost spot on. After that one alignment everything started to fall into place. I am anxious to see my star shpaes for my 2, 3 and 5 minute unguided exposures but I will contain my enthusiasm until I've had some sleep!

I really hope you get things sorted. I am very impressed with the quality so far of the mount - I just need to get my head around a whole new set of problems!

Good luck.

Adrian

• Like 1