NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon Jupiter Saturn Pluto conjunctions ?

wesdon1

Hi all. has anyone managed to see Pluto recently? It's close to Saturn at the moment, but i live in light polluted area and only have 130mm reflector aperture so don't know whether i'm seeing Pluto or just a very faint star? has anyone here ever seen Pluto through their 'scope, and if so, whats it look like? we're currently having a Moon Jupiter conjunction, then i believe Saturn will do too with Moon, and even Pluto i think? Thanks!

Edited by wesdon1

You would need a much bigger telescope and dark skies to see Pluto (mag 14.3), and in practice it is only possible to locate Pluto by imaging and using software or a follow-up image to identify the result among a field of brighter stars.  See my post in 'EEVA Reports' in this forum.

Forget Pluto mate. You are never going to see it visually, and as Geoff says you could see it with a large scope with a good time exposure only. Even the guy who discovered it had to use photography, and muliple different night exposures to actually notice Pluto right there at the edge of the solar system. Concentrate on all the other 8 planets in the solar system, which with patience and perseverance are visible in modest scopes quite easily.