NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AP Setup - Hardware Purchased

brenski

Hi

Hoping someone can advise: I've recently bought this - because it is recommended as a good fit for DSO/Astro imaging

sky-watcher star adventurer pro pack  https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-star-adventurer-pro-pack.html

I'm now getting conflicting information about it - always seems to be the case immediately after a purchase.

■ what tracking software would i used to help with imaging? - i plan to use (windows 10) tablet pc with usb cable connected to the sky-watcher.

■ if there is no tracking software available - how would I track? 

i am thinking I'm being completely stupid here and have missed something obvious.

thanks

Edited by brenski

Hi and welcome to SGL! The Star Adventurer is primarily designed as a portable setup for use with a DSLR and lenses. It can be used with small telescopes as well but might need a very sturdy tripod. You dont need a laptop to use it. It will track the movement of the sky in sidereal rate. I think it also has both lunar and solar rates as well. What kit are you planning to use it with?

I think we should first define the terms "tracking" and "guiding". The mount will "track" at a fixed rate, sidereal or 15 degrees/hour, without external interference, plus lunar and solar rates. This should be fine with good polar alignment .for shorter exposures or wide field shots. Longer exposures may require some external adjustment (guiding) to keep the target centred on the sensor. For this you will need some extra equipment, a small telescope (guide scope) and another camera (guide camera). These two can be purchased as a bundle. For software you will need PHD2 or similar autoguiding software. The guide camera sends a signal back to the guiding software, which, in turn, sends commands back to the mount to correct for drifting. The Star Adventurer is only driven in right ascension, so the guiding software can only correct in one axis for this mount. 

Hi David & Cornelius

I was hoping that the Star Adventurer Pro would do what it claims it does.

Hoping to setup my Canon 200D with Pentax Takuma 200mm  to take some DSO shots. Seems like sellers don't tell you all of the equipment you'll need to get things up and running.

Had no idea I'd need an additional guide scope and camera combo? talk about rabbit-holes. Retailer was clear that the Star Adventurer Pro with a decent tripod would be all i need. hmm.

You dont need a guide scope at all! That combo should be absolutely fine. The only thing extra you'll likely need is an intervalometer for setting long exposures OR a USB cable if you wanted to control via a laptop.

Edit: Just to point out, the longer the focal length used and the more difficult it is to take longer exposures. Your 200mm lens might be the upper end of what you can get away with without guiding. Start off with 30s exposures and see how you get on. If Good balancing and polar alignment are key. If you get no noticable star trails then you can try longer exposures. It's a bit of trial and error getting started.

Edited by david_taurus83