Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

telescope clamps?

Hello all:) I am new to this and have been out three times. My question is this. After I polarize with Polaris, I have to turn around and face the South.  That way I am able to observe the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. However the telescope tube is in an awkward angle as far as the eyepieces are concerned. Therefore, I simply loosened the tube clamps and rotated the telescope into a comfortable position, allowing me to look into the eyepieces more easily. Am I throwing all Polarity by doing this? 

You are not throwing out the polar alignment unless you accidentally move the mount while you are doing it. 

I am presuming you have a Newtonian as I remember it well when I used one for observing.  Provided you don't move the mount this would be OK.  

It would be a different situation if you were wanting to take photography, but no need to go into that. 

Carole 

• Like 1

Carole:) Thank you so much for your "speedy" response. How on earth did you know I have a Newtonian. LOL. It is a Orion SpaceProbe 130ST EQ. I am so new to all this, so much to learn; what a wonderful hobby. Another thing. I am finding so many on-line instructors have so many different ways of polarizing on Polaris. Whew...I suppose the skys he limit. lol. Have a good one kiddo. Dave

Be carefull when loosening the rings that the ota does'nt slip and hit the ground,you would be better getting another ring and placing it under the lower ring and keeping it tight,therefore allowing you to loosen the main rings enough to let you rotate the scope to where ever is comfortable to view.

Hi @EMT500 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

So you don't upset the balance of your OTA, and risk of it slipping when adjusting the e/p to a more user friendly position is to get another tube ring.

And now for the 'cheapskate method'... get Jubilee ring/hose clamp and a length of garden hose. Then fully unscrew the Jubilee ring/hose clamp and thread it through the hose, (an alternative is to get an embroidery hoop), and then attach it to the OTA. Then it should rest on one of the original mounts tube rings, no slippage and remain balanced, (unless you decide to add a heavy e/p or camera in to the focusser tube).   

Edited by Philip R