Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Polarie and WO Z61 or new mount?

Hello, 

Currently I have Vixen Polarie that I used with my Sony A6500 and its normal lens but recently I just bought William Optics Zenithstar 61 (and its flattenner) . 

I have asked Vixen whether I could use Polarie with Z61 and they said yes but I need heavy load kit which cost around 700-800usd so I wonder is it worth it or should I find a new mount. 

Any recommendations? 

Thank you in advance for every reply. 

If you want to stay mobile and have a Vixen Polarie equivalent then you could look at the iOptron Skyguider Pro. It comes complete with the full kit needed to mount a Z61, which is what I use on mine. Costs cGBP415 or USD510 by my calculations. 

Like you I purchased the Polarie then hit the weight limit and baulked at the upgrade cost so sold it and bought the Skyguider Pro. The Skywatcher version is also an option but again you have to purchase the tracking unit and weight upgrade separately.

Have a look at the weblink below and the associated YouTube video. Peter does a great job simply explaining the pros and cons of each having used both in the field. He also has some great set up tutorials on YouTube.

https://www.peterzelinka.com/blog/2018/8/which-star-tracker-should-i-get

Hope that helps,

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kudogoku said:

but I need heavy load kit which cost around 700-800usd

You could of course fabricate your own version of the heavy loading kit  - at the end of the day it is just a counterbalance arm, weight and clamp.

8 hours ago, Hughsie said:

If you want to stay mobile and have a Vixen Polarie equivalent then you could look at the iOptron Skyguider Pro. It comes complete with the full kit needed to mount a Z61, which is what I use on mine. Costs cGBP415 or USD510 by my calculations. 

Like you I purchased the Polarie then hit the weight limit and baulked at the upgrade cost so sold it and bought the Skyguider Pro. The Skywatcher version is also an option but again you have to purchase the tracking unit and weight upgrade separately.

Have a look at the weblink below and the associated YouTube video. Peter does a great job simply explaining the pros and cons of each having used both in the field. He also has some great set up tutorials on YouTube.

https://www.peterzelinka.com/blog/2018/8/which-star-tracker-should-i-get

Hope that helps,

John

I'm actually interested in Skyguider but unfortunately it would be hard to get one as I'm in Japan. The shipping cost+tax would get the price up to 600+usd for full srt as well...

Might get it in the future though as I will need the autoguider. 

Thank you for the reply though! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

You could of course fabricate your own version of the heavy loading kit  - at the end of the day it is just a counterbalance arm, weight and clamp.

I will try doing this. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Maybe counterweight set of different system might be ok. 

Need to check the screws and all.