Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 vs EQ6 Mount

Banjo-tam

I have a Vixen Super Polaris which I believe qualifies as an EQ5 mount? I have read in various places that it's top weight capacity is somewhere between 15.5 and 22 lb. Presently I have a Celestron C8 mounted on it, and am considering one day moving up to a C9 if my mount can handle it. I know that it will be a close call, and many recommend against it. My question is relatively simple. What is the capacity of an EQ6 mount? They seem a little pricey, but can they handle 11inch, or even 14+ inch scopes?

My interest is astrophotography, so whatever weight the OTA may have, I have to calculate in the weight of the camera and adapter.

Any thoughtful response would be appreciated.

FA

If you're looking at long exposure imaging with an Schmitt Cassegrain telescope at prime focus, you are going to need a high quality, heavy duty mount.  I suppose you may well be able to use an C8 or even a C9.25 on an EQ6, but for imaging, that is probably going to be your limit.    It's not just a matter of carrying capacity, it's also a matter of the focal length of these large SCTs.  Longer focal lengths require more accurate mounts.

You also need to consider the usability of your system.  If you've got to set up a large, heavy mount and a very large SCT tube every time you want to image, my guess is you will probably quite soon be put off by the sheer palaver of setting it all up.  There is an old adage that hold very true - "The best telescope is the one that get used".

IMHO, for most people, the EQ6 is at about the limit (weight-wise) of what constitutes as a portable mount.

I have a NEQ6 pro,and have to set it up every time i gonna use it. It`s havy,and take it in and out of my garage is quite a chalenge for my back.

Im using a Sky Watcher Explorer 300p and with a UWAN 28mm 82° eyepieces (1Kg) its reaching the maximum for the mount. I have to balance my mount very carefully every time.

Einar

I had a 10" Meade SCT on an NEQ6 and imaging was always a challenge

As has been said, it is not simply the weight of the scope, but the focal length too. You will get away with the 9.25 as Michael says, but anything bigger would make for a lot of messing around. (I expect the 9.25 would also be a learning curve). I changed out the 10" Meade for a 12" Newt on the same mount an dit was actually easier.

Check the second hand market and get as good a mount as you can.

Good luck.

Gordon