NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hackness Grange - on the edge of the Dalby Forest

Jarvo

With the passing of my dear Wife recently I am resolving to spread my wings a bit and get to some properly dark sites. 

I’m currently staying at the Hackness Grange Hotel just off the Dalby forest in North Yorkshire (I have no affiliation). 

Dalby is already recognised as one of the best sites in the UK but if you don’t fancy getting lost in the Dalby Woods the grounds of this hotel are really good. 

Just wandered out and positioned myself behind one of the many tall tree lines in the estate to shield the hotel lights. 

Cygnus was directly overhead and even without proper light adaption the Milky Way was literally ablaze. I’ve only ever seen it once before in Portugal but not this good. 

I recognised the square of Pegasus and traced it back to Andromeda. I could just make out M31 with my averted vision. Again another first. 

I then traced the Milky Way back to Cassiopeia. Lost count of the stars. 

Tracing the Milky Way back up through Cygnus and across through Cassiopeia against a dark sky has to be one of the purest astronomical pleasures there is. 

Here for another night :)

Thanks for looking. 

Jarvo

• Like 3