Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Carry case AZ-EQ6 GT when in Alt-azimuth mode

JeremyS

There are several commercial bags and cases available for this mount head, some which re-use the packaging for the original shipping box and some with new padding, but they are designed for storing the mount head when it is set to EQ mode.

Any solutions for alt-az mode, to save the hassle of switching from alt-ax back to EQ just for transport?

I transport my mount head in a small suitcase on wheels I got from the charity shop and pad it out with an old duvet cover - doesn’t look that impressive inside but it does the job. You could get foam and fill a larger suitcase on wheels and cut out the alt-az configuration yourself from foam, or just make a nest for it out of old duvet covers... if you want to transport it further than just in the car, you’d better get a more protective and robust setup; I suspect this will be £100-200...

https://www.shop4cases.co.uk/product_list.asp?CatID=187

• Thanks 1

It turns out I had a Duratool case in store which does the job nicely - Duratool case were recommended sometime ago on SGL. The AZ-EQ6 head fits in nicely and when the lid is closed it's held in place by the foam padding in the lid (there is also foam padding on the base, so it's sandwiched between foam - the case also has pluck-and-pull foam so I could tailor the foam to surround the head if I wanted). Carrying the mount in the case prevents it moving around in the car boot whilst driving, which might damage it or something else.

Right, off to the observing field now.... 🙂

IMG_6473.JPG.ddd9293957da7e4db6594cee58db8ecc.JPG

IMG_6477.JPG.90f23f6d439522a1d2e804a6a0ab26b7.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...