Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

80mm Achro+Quark or 60mm Lunt single stack?

Hi all,

I've got to the point where I have to make a decision for my first solar steps.

Currently I have seen the sun through only a white light filter and I am itching for Ha views. So here comes the question:

I am going to start saving anyways to get to buy Ha capable stuff. My options are:

1. 80mm f/5 normal achromat (Meade Infinity 80mm) + Quark;
  2. or Lunt 60 single stack, then I later save another $1600 to double stack it...

I got lost between the pros/cons of the 2 options here... Like I would love to get both if I can afford and just rest my brain but I got only to choose one..

Would love any input or feedback on this!

Regards

Hi.

I have used a Chromosphere Quark with my ED80, and I have a Lunt LS60PT scope as well. They are quite different setups.

Note, I said ED80 (f7.5) not standard 80mm f5 achromat. You would find the ED80 better, as at f7.5, with the built-in image amplifier in the Quark, which multiplies the effective f-ratio by 4.3, this will take it to f32 which is right at the level that the Quarks function best at. In an f5 scope, that would only be at f21.5, so you would not be getting the best out of the device. Also, cheaper f5 objectives may have optical issues that also degrade the image, whereas a tried and tested f7.5 ED performs very well.

The Lunt will give you a full disc image, with plenty of space around it, and still be capable of using higher magnifications to zoom in for more detailed views. A combination of 80mm and Quark will give more of a zoomed-in look by default, as it's recommended that you use a 40mm Plossl as the default eyepiece, possibly increasing to a good 32mm Plossl if conditions allow. You will NOT get a full disc image (unless you use a very fast scope, which is maybe why you're considering the f5 80mm?)

Detail in the Quark / ED80 combo is extreme. The tuning takes longer as it works by heating it by means of a power supply, whereas the tuning on a Lunt is "instant" by means of turning a wheel or cylinder (angle tuning or pressure tuning).

In my case, I quite like having both setups as they are sufficiently different to be both worth having (though I actually tend to use the Quark now with my Takahashi 100mm, but the argument is the same).

Ant