NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OAG Help

alan potts

Right I am considering trying some shots with my 2700m Mak from SW, it hasn't seen light for a long time. Now I believe to use this type of focal length an OAG is required. Now I am looking at the Zwo OAG purely for value but there is no real reason why I could not buy one of the others FLO offeres. I have a Zwo 290mini that I guide with at the moment.

Basically am I on the right path and will any of the OAG's fit the 2 inch visual back that is fitted to the scope. I don't want to waste too much money if this proves next to impossible to image with, and selling unwanted gear out here is almost impossible too.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I’ve been evaluating OAG’s and have been using the Celestron for a couple of years now and it really is very good and solid....but it’s 46mm thick and will mess up your back focus if you need a specific measurement.

I have ordered and messed around with the following: -

Orion Thin OAG - this appeared OK, but didn’t arrive with all the right fittings so was sent back without testing.

Starlight Express Thin OAG - looked good but uses a mirror rather than a prism, and glue present untidily all over the place.

ZWO OAG - Good value for money but tiny prism

Moravian OAG -Absolute rubbish, the biggest waste of money that I have ever spent on a piece of Astro equipment.

QHY Medium OAG - Absolutely superb workmanship, I had to make my own adapter to fit the Moravian 7 position 2” filter wheel, but it really is solid and a pleasure to use.

I had to make a revised adapter as I needed the OAG to be closer to the primary, easily rectified though.

you can pickup a QHY for around £90 secondhand and so far I am really impressed.

Hope that helps.

5F015E14-BA47-4B23-8B89-59E0B4431A89.jpeg

629A1E11-C758-4FBE-A02C-B8F84FE794C7.jpeg

• Like 2

On 09/08/2019 at 06:28, alan potts said:

I don't want to waste too much money if this proves next to impossible

Hi

+1 to all of @Jkulin...

Whatever you get, I'd recommend a proper focuser for the guide camera, e.g. this one, which just works. Push-pull focus over 2700mm is going to be near on impossible and I think you'll also need to bin -as in the sensor- your 290 to get stars.

Cheers and good luck.

• Like 1