NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nemesis vanquished....and other stuff 😉

Stu

22 hours ago, John said:

Interesting comparing the above simulation with my sketch of this pair with my ED120 frac from a couple of years back:

zherc.jpg.86c4f39db5951ea65453feaca3a81893.jpg

I remember that one John. Nice sketch, similar to Izar through a much smaller scope, 60 or 70mm say. In the 8" it was clear of the diffraction ring and much more of a separate disk, that's down to aperture and resolution.

I assume you've seen it in the 12"?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s amazing how addictive splitting double stars can be isn’t it? Never would have believed it! Thanks for adding another couple to my list of challenges Stu- it’s getting quite long now and without too much success so far. I’m struggling to optimise my scope- still suffering astigmatism which is killing high power star views 😞 But it’s ok- it’s actually a fun if frustrating  part of the journey I think- cracking the scope mechanics to improve the view. I think it’s the secondary mount bending the mirror slightly- a flawed design and I’m umming  and ahhing about  whether to try to improve it or just replace it. Spent a few hours this week when weather permitted on Pi Aqu without success (I think I’m looking at the right star now 😉) and only managed one of the double double 😞 I think my 8.5” f7.5 should be doing better than this but seeing hasn’t been great either. Didn’t manage Antares yet either and unfortunately it’s getting too low too early now so will have to wait 

Edited by markse68

16 minutes ago, markse68 said:

It’s amazing how addictive splitting double stars can be isn’t it? Never would have believed it! Thanks for adding another couple to my list of challenges Stu- it’s getting quite long now and without too much success so far. I’m struggling to optimise my scope- still suffering astigmatism which is killing high power star views 😞 But it’s ok- it’s actually a fun if frustrating  part of the journey I think- cracking the scope mechanics to improve the view. I think it’s the secondary mount bending the mirror slightly- a flawed design and I’m umming  and ahhing about  whether to try to improve it or just replace it. Spent a few hours this week when weather permitted on Pi Aqu without success (I think I’m looking at the right star now 😉) and only managed one of the double double 😞 I think my 8.5” f7.5 should be doing better than this but seeing hasn’t been great either. Didn’t manage Antares yet either and unfortunately it’s getting too low too early now so will have to wait 

It's certainly a good challenge Mark.

Your scope should be up to these I would think if the mirror is good and collimation spot on. You should be able split the Double Double easily and regularly if you are to have a chance at Pi Aquilae I would say.

Nice report, Stu!  What a great feeling to finally achieve a view after trying for so long. 

@markse68the double double should split easily at x100, so if that’s not working I’d agree there could be something mechanical at fault. 

Edited by Special K
  • Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 05:09, Stu said:

..I assume you've seen it in the 12"?

Yes indeed I have but the presentation of the stars is preferrable to me with refractors when observing doubles. You know more distinctly when you have a split and when you don't with the refractor image IMHO. They have that "text book" quality to them.

I've done Zeta Herc a couple of times with the Tak FC-100DL over the past couple of weeks as well. Remarkably similar image to that of the ED120 given the aperture difference but I've noticed that the Tak does rather well for it's aperture on most targets !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

I've done Zeta Herc a couple of times with the Tak FC-100DL over the past couple of weeks as well. Remarkably similar image to that of the ED120 given the aperture difference but I've noticed that the Tak does rather well for it's aperture on most targets !

Whilst I've not done Zeta Herc with my Tak John, one reason I didn't keep the 120ED was because in most cases it was not giving me much if anything over the Tak. DSOs maybe just due to the extra light grasp but not dramatically so.

• Like 1