NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deep into the Orion Nebula

Hello All,

This image of the Orion Nebula was imaged using my Astro modded and cooled Canon 40D DSLR through my 8" SCT at 2032mm focal length. This image has been exposed in natural color using only the IR/UV Cut filter.

MG

M42 ECU_28Feb2019.JPG

• Like 11

3 hours ago, matt_baker said:

What was the acquisition on this?

Only about 1 hour and 21 minutes of exposure time and all in RGB...

15x15s, 12 each of 30s, 60s, 120s, 180s subs at ISO1600 ... using my modded and cooled Canon 40D.

12 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Only about 1 hour and 21 minutes of exposure time and all in RGB...

15x15s, 12 each of 30s, 60s, 120s, 180s subs at ISO1600 ... using my modded and cooled Canon 40D.

What's the difference in noise like without a cooler on this kind of setup with a slow scope?

14 minutes ago, matt_baker said:

What's the difference in noise like without a cooler on this kind of setup with a slow scope?

Noise with cooling at ISO1600 is about as much as between ISO400 and ISO800 when uncooled... less than at ISO800 but slightly more than ISO400.

I compared 15 minute subs when the night ambient temperature was 24°C.

Edited by MarsG76

1 minute ago, MarsG76 said:

Noise with cooling at ISO1600 is about as much as between ISO400 and ISO800 when uncooled... less than at ISO800 but slightly more than ISO400.

I wonder with the right guiding, how it'd look through a C14 I have access to

50 minutes ago, Adry said:

Nice picture but

Just remembering that:

"Data must be captured during the challenge start & end dates."

Hmm, If that's set in stone, it's only a hour and 20 mins... no issue re-capturing it at 3 am tonight when Orion is in the east... 😉

Edited by MarsG76

21 minutes ago, Whistlin Bob said:

Really very nice. You can almost distinguish the e and f stars in the trapezium. What software did you use for the processing?

Stacked in Nebulosity and processed in Photoshop... the E & F stars are blotted out because they're obviously over exposed, when I re capture this image and framing I'll have to shorten the exposure for a few dozen subs and concentrate on NOT overexposing the close stars in the trapezium.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, matt_baker said:

I wonder with the right guiding, how it'd look through a C14 I have access to

I imagine it would be zoomed in more... considerably more since this is imaged at 2032mm focal length and the C14 focal length is 3911mm... and you'd need a beefier mount since (I assume that) the CGEM would not be accurate enough to track for round stars in RA... I dare say that 2032mm is about the limit of the mounts accuracy.... and the C14 weight is already way over the CGEM weight limit without any imaging accessories...

With a focal reducer, at 2400mm FL you'd be looking at a similar image just captured 4X as fast.

7 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I imagine it would be zoomed in more... considerably more since this is imaged at 2032mm focal length and the C14 focal length is 3911mm... and you'd need a beefier mount since (I assume that) the CGEM would not be accurate enough to track for round stars in RA... I dare say that 2032mm is about the limit of the mounts accuracy.... and the C14 weight is already way over the CGEM weight limit without any imaging accessories...

With a focal reducer, at 2400mm FL you'd be looking at a similar image just captured 4X as fast.

Oh yea, I was never intending to use it at it's standard f/10, only f/7 as they have a reducer already.

They also have an older CGE mount and if I can maybe put an 80mm scope along with a guide camera, it should make things smoother (I would hope)

1 hour ago, matt_baker said:

Oh yea, I was never intending to use it at it's standard f/10, only f/7 as they have a reducer already.

They also have an older CGE mount and if I can maybe put an 80mm scope along with a guide camera, it should make things smoother (I would hope)

You'll find that a guide scope won't be accurate enough at 2400mm FL... I think that you will need to use a OAG...

On 07/08/2019 at 11:51, MarsG76 said:

Hmm, If that's set in stone, it's only a hour and 20 mins... no issue re-capturing it at 3 am tonight when Orion is in the east... 😉

Great! I thought I had to shoot again.