Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Weight could be an issue

Hi all … I would like to ask if the following is feasible .

I have a SW 130pds mounted on a SW EQ3 Pro Goto . I also have a lovely small WO ZS61 . My question is , these two scopes weigh about 6.5 kgs … would I be able to piggy back the Z61 onto the 130 and still use the mount . I am looking to upgrade the tripod to a steel one ,  as the aluminium one supplied feels thinner than a supermodel on hunger strike . This should give extra weight and stability , but I think I may be pushing it beyond its limits. I am not able to try this , at present as I do not have any rings to fix the z61 to the 130 yet, hence the question .

Although upgrading the tripod would certainly help stability and dampening time, this isn’t the only factor and I think that you would be pushing the mount a little too far - you are unlikely to break it if you achieve good balance but you might well be stressing the bearings with additional weight so far out from the mount centre. A side by side mounting would help in this regard but would be disproportionately expensive.

I hadn't even thought about the bearings side of it 😕 … plus of course my z61 has a field flattener etc adding extra weight  … also never even considered a side by side . I must admit , I did expect this answer although I was rather hoping it wouldn't be the case . But at least I haven't had any extra expense , so thank you for the advice , Steppenwolf . Since I bought the mount , I have not had a clear night !! But of course that's the way it goes when you purchase new astronomy stuff zzz

If your mount is balanced, I think you can get away with having a bit more weight that stated to be a max load... try it and see how the mount behaves.. if it looks like it's struggling than think about a bigger mount otherwise you might be OK, I think you'll be OK.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

If your mount is balanced, I think you can get away with having a bit more weight that stated to be a max load... try it and see how the mount behaves.. if it looks like it's struggling than think about a bigger mount otherwise you might be OK, I think you'll be OK.

Thank you , Just need the rings for my z61 to give it a go . I am a bit cautious ( that's why I asked the question) , but that's one for and one against lol . As I say , I can't test it yet .

1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Thank you , Just need the rings for my z61 to give it a go . I am a bit cautious ( that's why I asked the question) , but that's one for and one against lol . As I say , I can't test it yet .

I had my CGEM loaded with 25Kg at a time and when it was balanced, it performed fine.. when it became slightly out of balance because I removed a DSLR from the piggy back and lost about a kilo, than it struggled a bit slewing in one direction and started to "bounce" slightly when I stopped it and re balanced the mount... so from experience I think that being close to or over the mounts limit, this is when balance is very crucial. How much you are willing to go over the limit is up to you but I think it should be reasonable.

For the record, right now my CGEM is running with a +/-35lb load on a 40lb limit mount, balanced both in RA and DEC and its smooth.

Edited by MarsG76
  • Like 1