Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Boxes for Travelling

What are people using for packaging up their equipment when travelling to dark sites?

Preferably something that is more likely to handle a flight and baggage handlers...?

I was thinking about getting a large Peli case or two to hold all my equipment and then keep the tripod separate from that...

Anyone come up with something innovative for this?

If you intend to transport the fragile optical components in the hold of an aircraft, I would think nothing less than a Peli case would do (or similar other brand offering).  I would still be a bit nervous about doing that as they are called baggage "throwers" for a reason.  I have taken a Peli 1510 in the cabin for long haul no trouble with a 4" refractor in it.  Tripod and mount can go in the hold.  Plus a Pelican case is a potential theft target as it is clearly holding something more valuable than clothes.

Can I assume you are taking the 130PDS?  Perhaps if you dont think you can take the whole scope in the cabin, you could remove the primary mirror and take that as carry on to keep it safe and just install and collimate at your destination?

• Thanks 1

Ooo, I hadn't thought of that! Nice idea! I've not got any plans solidified yet but a friend of mine is hooking me up with some dark sky places that have limited access in the near future so hoping to be set and ready to go at a moments notice if needed! :)

Yes its the 130PDS so removing the mirror is an option! Just need to make sure it's well secured in my cabin baggage! :) 

I'd definitely be going with a peli case or equivalent although they certainly aren't cheap! Hopefully I can get something custom made to fit the OTA and the mount as well as a few other bits and bobs

Thanks!

I've gone way over the top boxing with my 5" beginner scope, as I like everything neat in one place and ready for a grab and go.

Package consist of
- ROC Aluminium flight case as the shell
- 3 levels of pluck foam, base foam and an egg foam from a MAX 430 case, which happens to had the same width & length internal dimension

The case fits hand baggage allowance for international carriers like British Airways, but unfortunately a wheel or trolley handle too big for regional airlines like EasyJet and Flybe.

I also know its not quite the same with your 130PDS, (I assume the OTA is around 60cm) which will probably breaks all baggage size allowance unless you split the primary like Dirk suggested.

SyfU4pQ.jpg
vnmpnsC.jpgfGcjzQD.jpg

The box holds the OTA, diagonal, zoom, barlow and RDF, leaving only the mount and a small manfrotto tripod to carry in another bag. 

Edited by Panda Alvin
  • Thanks 2

Now thats a very neat solution! Love it! Exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for, just a little bit bigger... Will definitely be taking the primary out of mine when flying though, makes it a much safer idea!

A note of caution if constructing a case for cabin use. Not every airline has the same size and weight limits.

Some airlines are very fussy about exceeding limits. Jet2 (for example) once tried to argue with me because my bag would not easily slide into the gauge cage at check in - with my hand alongside!

Ryanair start charging or objecting at literally a gram over the limit.

It would be a pity to make a fantastic case only for it go in the hold - potentially at great expense.

I know someone who fell foul of the size limit due only to the wheels on a case. Faced with more than £100 for it to go in the hold, he went away. Intending to get a taxi to the local B&Q or similar and buy a hacksaw to remove the wheels.
Outside the building were some friendly workmen. Taxi fare avoided. The case was made compliant in a couple of minutes.

If you are wandering through an airport terminal building and wonder why there are scratch and drag drag marks from the front door to a certain desk............

I always carry optical gear in the cabin if size permits. However, a jacket or similar padding around does the job.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having had these experiences on many occasions with the so called budget airlines I just don't fly with them anymore. It's a false economy as they charge you for everything! Flying with a proper airline always works out cheaper if you have hold luggage. I once went snowboarding and paid for my snowboard bag on the way out. On the way back it was 5Kg lighter than it was going out and they said it was overweight and charged me £10 per kilo even though I hadn't been charged on the way out. They just knew I would pay it just to get home so screwed me! Never again. If I'm paying for the flights I'll always pay that little bit extra up front for a better airline than sleazy jet or Ryanair. :)

I'm hoping to have a case that will be strong enough and with enough padding that I can put it in the hold without worrying too much. Maybe taking the primary mirror out will be the best bet though, just need to find a way of securing it in my cabin bag now! :) 

Make sure its below the maximum size for an airline, doesnt have to be on the limit for size, less of a target for airline staff.

Make sure it hard plastic with some strength. There are plenty of cases that arnt much stronger than a t-shirt.

Make sure it has a lock.

Dont be cheap its not worth it as it will just cause you to worry. I refer to the construction.

Dont be afraid of the idea of breaking the scope into a couple of bits.

READ THE SMALL PRINT CHECK FOR CLOUDY SKIES NOT INCLUDED

PSX_20190802_212854.jpg

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Thanks 1