Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I might have hit the jackpot.....

Doc

I might have hit the jackpot.....

I was chatting to a friend of my father in law the other day about my Astronomy.

Apparently he knows someone who has an old Cave reflector on a huge heavy mount. He remembers it when he was a child thinks it's about 25 years old.

As far as he knows it's in a garage and hasn't seen daylight for at least 15 years.

All he can remenber is it was huge at least 12".

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch as this bloke does have a reputation for BS.

Will see what happens. Might be a nice project.

This would be a very interesting find. I've been casually looking for one for awhile, but didn't ever expect to find one in the UK.

Cave's were fantastic reflectors, and while they are large, an adundance of chrome & brushed metal makes a strong statement! They are supposedly excellent optically too.

Finding one in the UK would be unusual, as these are very large instruments, and I would have thought that International purchases of this size would have been unusual at this time...

Some pictures of a lovingly restored example here: http://www.clintsong.com/ClintStars.html

Cave's are not for the faint-hearted...and would be very rare outside of North America (U.S. specifically). An inexperienced eye, simply looking at picture online might visually mistake a Fullerscopes newt for a Cave. The MArk III mount has a similar 'pipe mount' look.

Hopefully not though...please keep us updated...

Archived