NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bad seeing didn't ruin a great night!

Kn4fty

This report is a bit late, but better late than never! On 6/29/19, we had the clearest skies in months. Ursa Major was high above the top of the house, so I decided to chase down some Messiers near it. I set up Copernicus, my 8" Newt, and checked collimation. A quick polar alignment and I was ready to go. I set the scope on Dubhe and yhen swung the scope to my first targets RA/DEC. There in the EP was M82, the Cigar Galaxy. It was just noticable. More time at the EP did help tease out a bit more detail. I decided to switch out the 26mm/38.5x EP. I stuck in the 20mm and could not achieve a sharp focus of M82 or even the stars! Well I was viewing over the house after a very hot day, but my image wasn't boiling so it had to be the atmosphere. So I switched back to the 26mm and continued. Why not? The previous view was in no way disappointing!  So I viewed a bit more and sketched the beautiful little galaxy. Next I swung the scope to Bode's Nebula/ M81's RA/DEC. I searched and searched, but could not see it. I reset the scope on Dubhe, then back to M81's coordinates. Still couldn't see it after more searching. So I did what I usually do in a situation like this, I pulled up Stellarium. I studied the star pattern around M81. I swung the scope back to the coordinates then searched for the star pattern. Once I found it, I began to view patiently. After a couple minutes there it was! It was almost imperceptible and would of missed it except for averted vision. Unfortunately time at the EP didn't help bring out a better view. I made a quick sketch of what I could see. About that time a car came up the road. I turned away from the scope and the road, then covered my eyes to preserve my night vision. When I turned back to the scope, I couldnt see it any more. Oh well, time to move on. My next target was M97 the Owl Nebula. I set the scope on Merak and then dialed in M97's coordinates. I searched for it but could not see it at all. I knew I was in the right place and the stars were right, but where was it? I slipped a broad band skyglow filter on the EP and that ball of gas just popped out!!! That beautiful little ball of haze was just gorgeous to me. I couldn't see the eyes or much detail, but I was just completely taken. Unfortunately, like earlier, increasing magnification just lost what I could see. So I made a sketch and moved on. Just outside the field of view was my next target, M108 the Surfboard Galaxy. With a surface brightness after extinction of 14.13, it was very difficult to see. Averted vision would just allow me to see it. But even as difficult as it was, it was fascinating! The stars above it looked to me like the neck of a vase and the galaxy looked like it was being poured out! Even though it was my hardest view, I spent the most time on this Messier during the session. I took my time sketching and enjoying how it looked like the vase was pouring out water. It was probably the most beautiful target of the night. My last Messier for the night was M39 open cluster in Cygnus. Cygnus was almost straight over head. The open cluster was large. It was bigger than the FOV. I started making my dots for the sketch and making and making and making.... The more I stayed at the EP the more stars popped out. After this Messier, the day caught up with me and it was time for bed. Even after more than 20 years, it still blows my mind looking at these various jewels in the sky. I'll never get bored looking at them! 

Rob

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, alan potts said:

Nice report, M13 and 22 always captivate me when I'm using the 18 inch, so many stars.

Alan

Thanks Alan! There are so many that just mesmerize me everytime I see them. Everytime there is something I didn't notice previously!

Rob

• Like 2

Hi Rob, enjoyed reading your report.  Many would say that nebula filters work best at low power, and at higher mags the filter is less effective as you seemed to find with M97.  But maybe best to try it and make your our own minds up what works for each of us.

When using filters and changing eyepieces, do you swap the filter to the eyepiece in use ?   That works but it’s a bit of a faff.   I have a DIY 2” filter holder to take my 2” Ultrablock, with a semi permanently fitted 2” to 1.25” adapter.  That way I can switch eyepieces without changing the filter, works a treat.   Of course I’m limited to using 1.25” eyepieces.   Best of all would be a sliding filter holder mounted inside the optical tube so you can instantly switch from no filter to how ever many other filters and 2” eyepieces you may own.  Maybe one day I may do something like that myself.

Of course refractor / SCT / Mak users can attach the filter to the diagonal nosepiece to achieve the same easy convenience.

Ed.

• Like 1

Yes, the filters definitely work better at low powers. That night there was no getting away from low due to seeing. 

Yeah, i usually just switch the filters between EPs. I had a filter wheel once, but not any more. I have considered getting a sliding holder.

Rob