Observing Jupiter and trying out the Skysurfer V

JeremyS

Had a decent session on Jupiter last night. Used the C9.25 this time.

With Jupiter skimming the hedge tops and not visible from the observatory, it’s not a great apparition, but was impressed by the wealth of detail visible and the colour of the GRS that was in transit at the time. The seeing was fine for a few minutes and they fell apart for another few minutes, so I had to bide my time to get the best views.

Used the Baader Skysurfer V red dot finder for the first time – I've had it a few weeks, but not had the opportunity to use before. Works really well – it’s in a different league from the other smaller RDFs I’ve used before, like the Skysurfer III. It’s certainly bulkier and heavier, but does the job well. The alignment adjustment is high quality, although it’s a bit of a pain to have to use a screwdriver to adjust the 2 screws. Let’s hope it doesn’t need adjusting too ofen... 

This pic was taken at dusk and for some reason the sky looks whit. But it shows the C9.25 fitted with the SS V and mounted on the WO EZTouch and the Berlebach Planet tripod.

IMG_5659.JPG.2753536381cbc50369e3345f7c7f5bf4.JPG

Archived