New to planetary imaging

Hi. I am new to planetary imaging especially using softwares like PIPP, Autostakkert, Registax etc.

Yesterday I took a video of Jupiter. Processed in PIPP and then Autostakkert. Later imported the TIFF file to Registax but was unable to pull out any detail on Jupiter. Attached is the image after Autostakkert converted to TIFF. Is this of any value ? Or should I trash it ?

JUPITERMVI_0732_pipp_ulrg_g4_ap36.tif

There is no shortage of advice for planetary imaging inline.

Maybe you are overcomplicating your processing.  I suggest capturing using Sharpcap (or your choice), saving the file as a .ser file. This avoids the step of converting it to colour in PIPP.  While capturing, use the histogram in Sharpcap (or equivalent) to set the exposure level to around 70% max of peak white.   Import the .ser file into Registax and process it, using around 20% of the best frames.  If the image quality is very poor, you will not be able to pull any detail out of it.

I am an official imaging idiot lol, i hate overcomplicating things (i tell myself that because i feel better about not grasping imaging) basic planetary imaging can be done quick and easy. I use Registax for processing and, if my camera were anymore simple it would be falling out of gum ball machines (Neximage 5). There are many videos on youtube on using Registaxfor planetary, you would greatly benefit from them as i did, once my mount is aligned to polaris and i kick on the drive, i can just sit and play with settings in Sharp Cap to get Jupiter exposed right before recording.  

Archived