Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon Maiden area

qcdougn

Hi Talitha and Neil,

Thank you for the nice comments. Talitha I like the sketches...I don't think I had ever seen the full size view of that one.

Neil: I really need to hear about your processing steps done for your awesome, detailed images.

Cheers,

Doug

Hi doug, nothing fancy just map points on registax v4. though i do use image analyzer for noise reduction and deconvolution. Both have to be done sparingly, otherwise it looks over created. Thats always a concern, over processing, its easy done, i do it all the time.

The real quality comes during capture. this is where things have to be achieved, you need high magnfication, good focussing ( collimation ) good camera light levels, stable air.

I only shoot when the moons highest to achieve these goals, i was shooting at 8000mm recently Doug not sure what your focal length is ? but it can be calculated to see what barlow power that is for you.

I reckon about a 3 x on your system. though maybe more like 2/12 x barlow ( will need tube extenders for that )

what you do is get a real high mag going, if it looks blurry. you drop it a tad. You have to find a sweet spot between power and clarity Doug.

under good seeing your footage should have moments were the seeing calmed.

in my case thats usually about 50 frames out of 1800.

Not a lot Eh, i can squeeze 100 stacked , out of this type of magnfication. I have toyed with widefeild, but just love High mag. once you got a nice ,sharp, high mag avi done. if the quality is just average, it will often still show a lot of detail.

This is basically what i do.

But soon im hopimg i can step up a gear. I dont know how far yet in this country though, only time will tell. But seen some lovely stuff in this country. if you have specific questions Doug pm me, and we can discuss it.

Hi Neil,

Wowwww....8000mm fl imaging...That's fantastic. My SCT scope @f10 is 2800mm fl. So, imaging at 2.5X would be about what limit I could expect to use.

I agree that capture is the key component in the results. I had never thought of waiting until the moon reached the highest point. I will start to wait for a few hours after sunset for the earth's heat/cooling effect to lessen the air turbulance.

I need practice on using the Registax V4 - Multipoint alignment process. Until now, I've only used the single-default alignment. I'm looking forward to Cor's Version 5 one of these days soon. Until then, maybe you can tell me how you are able to run 1800 frames through RS?? I've been stopping my captures @800-900 frames. Can you Open more than one avi at a time and will RS align and stack them?

Thank you for sharing your techniques....Super images.

Doug

Archived