Astrophotography - Need some advice on the telescope

Hey guys,

I would like to start exploring the world of astrophotography, but I am a little lost in what to choose as a telescope.. Years ago i bought a Meade ETX90 with autostar from ebay, it was a pretty complete set with 4 eyepiece, a barlow lense, color filter set, solar filter and some other accessories. However, the autostar never really worked nicely, it's always pretty much off even though I calibrated it countless of times and set the time, date and location correctly. I did try to update with the autostar updater software but it keeps throwing me 404 errors that it can't find any new firmware.

So last days I've been doing a lot of research what to get, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask the advice from all the pro's here :) my budget at this moment is about max €1500, i'm still considering to sell the Meade but not sure how much that set will be worth though. From what I've read and seen my first choice would fall on a SkyWatcher Evostar 80/600ED Refractor with an EQ3 or EQ5 goto mount, but now my mind got mixed up and i'm doubting between a refractor and a newtonian so... what would you guys advice me for the budget I have? As far as photo/video equipment goes I have a Canon 750d (unmodded) camera and an older Celestron Neximage camera which can be inserted as eyepiece.

Hi, and welcome.

I have recently started into this world and would definitely recommend the ED80 as a good starting point.

I would also recommend either the HEQ5 or EQ6 as a goto mount ( they will allow you to upgrade later to a bigger scope if you wish ) and from what I have seen have better control over guiding etc.

The EQ3 or EQ5 are more portable though if this is required.

The 750d will be fine but I would recommend a smaller camera for guiding ( ASI 120mm or MC ) or similar. ( the Neximage may work but have no experience with this ).

These will easily be within your budget 2nd hand and probably within it new as well.

First thing to buy before spending anything on hardware is Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards, steppenwolf of this forum.

After that, look to the best mount you can afford. The HEQ5 used to be the de facto choice, but the new batch of mounts from iOptron could be a viable alternative. Anything below HEQ5 level will have you tearing your hair out.

As for 'scopes, I agree that the ubiquitous ED80 with flattener / reducer should be next on your shopping list, but don't forget to leave budget for a guide 'scope / camera, it will make a huge difference to your imaging.

As someone who has started small and upgraded to what amounts to a very decent new car worth of stuff, I concur with the above on the mount side. Get as much mount as possible, it is the first and last point of a good photo. Camera wise, stick to you canon until you absolutely must go to a cooled solution.

And yes, a small refractor is by far the best starting point. 

And time and patience and money for software licenses for PixInsight and Photoshop. Good luck!

Thanks for the great advices so far guys :) I think I might be able to squeeze a HEQ5 pro mount + the ED80 scope both new into my budget.

I have been fighting with my ETX tonight, had some lovely views of saturn and jupiter but in manual mode. I got a load of motor errors as well today so I think it's definitely time to move on to some good equipment cause now it's becoming more of a frustration rather than having fun and exploring the sky 😕 

Maybe an important question I forgot to ask: What do you want to photograph?

If DSO and nebulae? Great with a refractor.

If planetary, you need to go a completely different route, at least on scope.

I'm amazed by the DSO and nebulae photography so that is definitely something I'd like to try, planets would be cool too but that's not the highest priority.

I'm working on a deal for an HEQ5 Pro mount, if that works out I will stay well under my budget in case of the ED80 scope, so I might be able to add some good accessories as well :) 

You will need a guide cameras for long exposures. I also recommend getting the ED80 reducer/flattener if you can stretch to it. Maybe a used modded Canon at some point as this will make a huge difference. It does get expensive this AP hobby.

Peter

Archived