Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Comet Mission

Helen

I am really excited about ESA's announcement today about the approval of the Comet Interceptor Mission.  My PhD supervisor Colin Snodgrass is deputy PI for it, so I'm really looking forward to watching it develop, launch and then investigate a pristine comet 😎

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/science-environment-48696024

Exciting times!☄️☄️

Helen

• Like 6

Excellent Helen. Is this your proposal coming to fruition?!! Let’s hope the mission makes it through the next stage of selection and it then doesn’t have to wait at L2 for too long before a suitable candidate comet comes along! Will you get involved at all?

4 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Excellent Helen. Is this your proposal coming to fruition?!! Let’s hope the mission makes it through the next stage of selection and it then doesn’t have to wait at L2 for too long before a suitable candidate comet comes along! Will you get involved at all?

No Gavin, this isn't mine, although I suppose that once they get a target they may wish to have a ground-based campaign in support, and my review of the 67P Rosetta Campaign may be useful...  I'm just looking forward to hearing about it from Colin 🙂

Helen

• Like 1