Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount + scope envelopes

discardedastro

Hi all,

I've been working up a design based on a 4.8x3m footprint - I'm not short of space, I have to go through planning permission anyway (conservation area), and I want a reasonable amount of room for a 19" server rack and some storage along with a compact desk in the warm room.

Having laid this out with a 1.1m distance from my pier centre to the nearest wall, which looked about right, I'm now wondering A) if this is actually enough given my scope/mount (a 200PDS on an EQ6-R), B: if it'll be good enough for future use, and C) if I could actually get away with more than one mount in the space and therefore should put more than one pier in, or otherwise isolate the pad generally to give me the flexibility.

Does anyone have some numbers for working scope radii (for imaging)? I'm still keen to have the option to use the "big" scope for solo visual use, and I might go to a long FL frac in future or upgrade to a larger Newtonian. My current layout (incl shuttering) is attached.

c6f1197e-23ae-4c4c-b1c9-1052bd5f4cea.thumb.PNG.259df2b2de85012ce99615e6714f5ea6.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

From a practical point of view, I used to have a 12" Newt in a Skyshed pod.

It only has an internal diameter of 1.8m (0.9m radius) and it was tight and just about workable.

Increasing the radius by another 20cm would be more than enough, plus your space is square, so giving even more room to work in than I had.

Unless you are planning on holding events with more than a few people sharing this space, you will be fine.

Gordon.