Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Precise polar alignment with Star Adventurer Mini in the southern hemisphere

Hey there.

I live in New Zealand, hence no bright Polaris here to help. I can make a rough polar alignment based on my altitude and azimuth location, but that’s not good enough. I have a place in my garden where the South pole is directly visible. But I have trouble seeing the octanis starts trough the polarscope. I tried multiple times and probably only one of them I’m almost sure I saw them and aligned the mount correctly.
In theory I’m aware at least with the drift alignment method, but I don’t think it’s applicable here.
Are there any other tricks I can use to do perfect alignment when using lens in the 100mm – 300mm range?

Nik

I live across the ditch

You north or south island?

Never bothered with doing polar alignment 

When set up EQ mount, I use a compass to face the north leg south, allowing for magnetic variation, where I am is 13Deg East

Then do 2 star polar alignment

Last night you would had a nice view of both Jupiter and Saturn either side of the moon

Try to image with my Android phone, without much success 

John

PS

Next year NASA is sending another Rover to Mars

You can register online, and have your name included on the Rover, and also download Boarding Pass

https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8440/nasa-invites-public-to-submit-names-to-fly-aboard-next-mars-rover/

14 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Trying to judge star drift in a DSLR screen, even magnified,  I'd agree is difficult. 

DARV Polar Alignment method perhaps? 

Michael 

Yep, I read about it and I'll try is as soon as it clears out. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Try a Polestar.   I have one set up on my Star Adventurer, haven't used it yet.  I have got one of these from First Light Optics  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/qhyccd/qhy-polemaster-adapter-for-astrotrac-mounts.html     Read the description.  I can polar align my AVX in less than 10 mins with it.

Stephen

On 19/06/2019 at 22:25, nikolav said:

Auckland, mate.

Sorry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 2 star alignment refers to the GOTO function, not PA?

You're quite correct Nikolav, quite how you do a 2 star alignment on a SA I don't know..

Maybe sharpcap/ polemaster will help with PA?