SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Altair Starwave 80 EDT-R Triplet vs Altair Wave Series 80mm F6 Super ED Triplet

Hi all,

I am in the middle of deciding what my next Astro upgrade will be and I came across these two similar scopes on RVO. They appear to have very similar specs but quite different price tags; the Starwave 80 EDT-R being around £720 while the Altair Wave Series 80mm is £1100. 🤨

I assume that the price difference is not just pure profiteering, there must be a difference in the glass...has anyone compared these two scopes/know the details. Is the wave series worth the extra money? I am looking for a decent apo to get many years of enjoyment out of. The scope will be use mainly for AP, I aim to add a mono-camera with a filter wheel for narrowband imaging.

Altair Wave Series 80mm (£1100):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-starwave-80-edt-r-triplet-apo-refractor-ota.html

Altair Starwave 80 EDT-R Triplet (£720):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-wave-series-80mm-f6-super-ed-triplet-apo-refractor-telescope.html

Thanks guys!

Dan 🙂

Well, I'd say the more expensive one has the ED element in FPL53 Vs Hoya 100, but mostly due to Manual optimization process and provided interferometric test, which should be prove of highest quality. 

9 hours ago, FaDG said:

Well, I'd say the more expensive one has the ED element in FPL53 Vs Hoya 100, but mostly due to Manual optimization process and provided interferometric test, which should be prove of highest quality. 

Thanks for the reply! The price of the Altair Wave is comparable with the Esprit 80 which is very well regarded. 

16 hours ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Hi all,

I am in the middle of deciding what my next Astro upgrade will be and I came across these two similar scopes on RVO. They appear to have very similar specs but quite different price tags; the Starwave 80 EDT-R being around £720 while the Altair Wave Series 80mm is £1100. 🤨

I assume that the price difference is not just pure profiteering, there must be a difference in the glass...has anyone compared these two scopes/know the details. Is the wave series worth the extra money? I am looking for a decent apo to get many years of enjoyment out of. The scope will be use mainly for AP, I aim to add a mono-camera with a filter wheel for narrowband imaging.

Altair Wave Series 80mm (£1100):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-starwave-80-edt-r-triplet-apo-refractor-ota.html

Altair Starwave 80 EDT-R Triplet (£720):

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/altair-wave-series-80mm-f6-super-ed-triplet-apo-refractor-telescope.html

Thanks guys!

Dan 🙂

Well the second one (Altair Starwave 80 EDT-R Triplet (£720)) is not available so its all a moot point really. I don't know why they keep it on their site as no one can get hold of one. I tried to get one a year back and no one has them. 

Adam 

33 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Well the second one (Altair Starwave 80 EDT-R Triplet (£720)) is not available so its all a moot point really. I don't know why they keep it on their site as no one can get hold of one. I tried to get one a year back and no one has them. 

Adam 

Weird..

I'm now flip flopping between the Starwave and the SW Esprit 80. I like the extra accessories of the SW and it's a bit faster as well.  But the Altair scope is a bit lighter and has proper tube rings/may have better QC.

The more expensive one seems to have exactly the same specs (R&P focusser, FPL53 glass) as this one from TeleSkop Service:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-Optics-Photoline-80mm-f-6-FPL53-Triplet-Apo-2-5--RPA-Zahnstangen-Auszug.html

Which is considerably cheaper. I have the earlier APM counterpart (same optics, different focuser), which provides very nice results indeed. I am not sure if it is in Esprit 80 league, but I like it a lot.

Guest Vangelis

Dont be fooled. Altair scopes are clones (as are a few others) The bottom line is the Esprit range are tried and tested and I have yet to read a bad review of the range. I got a 120 for both visual and imaging but would buy an Esprit 80 without hesitation. Google and you will see little if any negative stuff on the Esprit 80. PS An interferometric test sheet is a rather expensive bit of paper I think. SW dont supply one. I doubt they need to as the Esprit range are of very high quality.

5 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The more expensive one seems to have exactly the same specs (R&P focusser, FPL53 glass) as this one from TeleSkop Service:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-Optics-Photoline-80mm-f-6-FPL53-Triplet-Apo-2-5--RPA-Zahnstangen-Auszug.html

Which is considerably cheaper. I have the earlier APM counterpart (same optics, different focuser), which provides very nice results indeed. I am not sure if it is in Esprit 80 league, but I like it a lot.

Interesting find thanks for that, it does look exactly the same minus the branding. The price difference worries me though...

1 hour ago, Vangelis said:

Dont be fooled. Altair scopes are clones (as are a few others) The bottom line is the Esprit range are tried and tested and I have yet to read a bad review of the range. I got a 120 for both visual and imaging but would buy an Esprit 80 without hesitation. Google and you will see little if any negative stuff on the Esprit 80. PS An interferometric test sheet is a rather expensive bit of paper I think. SW dont supply one. I doubt they need to as the Esprit range are of very high quality.

Thanks for that Vangelis, always thought that Skywatcher quality control was the compromise you make for the (relative) lower price tag...Perhaps the Esprit range is the exception here.

I am feeling more drawn to the Esprit 80 or even the 100 as they both provide the wide fast views I am looking for.

Guest Vangelis

Hi spaceman.  Apparently ES Reid who carries out assesment for FLO has had to return few if any of the Esprit range due to miscollimation.  I didn't pay extra for this service when I bought my Esprit and once I had carried out my own star test confirmed my sample produced a perfect set of concentric rings in and out of focus.  Certain budget SW components may perhaps be of varying quality but their ED refractor and Esprit range are giving the boutique brands sleepless nights I would have thought. Check out the reviews. They can't all be wrong. If your imaging I would get the Esprit 80. If visual and or both get the Esprit 120.