Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's the RedCat 51 verdict?

I've been reading up on this little scope and have seen quite a few issues with coma. Is the general verdict that this little scope isn't as good as was hyped? I'm looking for a widefield (ideally portable) scope for everything from full frame dslr to 1600mm and this seemed to fit the bill nicely. I'm guessing if you get a good one it's great but it's a risk regarding quality control. Perhaps a Canon 300f4, Z61 or Esprit 80 would be better?

Guest Vangelis

Esprit 80 definitely. I distinctly remember posting a comment about collimation  when I got a FB advert from William Optics about the imminent release of this scope. I fear yet again the WO bling factor has struck again. It sure looks cute but petzval optics require accurate alignment and therefore more expense is involved. Maybe their QC suffered due to demand or trying to hit a price point. WO don't have the economy of scale that Synta (Celestron/Skywatcher) do so perhaps this may be partly to blame. Maybe the SW ED72 would be a safer bet for those looking for ultra wide imaging kit?