NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Explorer Scientific iEXOS-100 PMC-Eight

• 4 weeks later...

I have one.  It is my first GOTO mount and I've only been at this for less than six months.  As everyone knows there is a steep learning curve with astrophotography and I picked a challenging mount to learn on.   The big question is what do you want to use it for?  If you want to use it for visual observing with a small refractor as shown in the video then you should be fine.  If you want to use it for astro-photography it can be challenging.   The biggest issue with it is polar and star alignment.   I use SharpCap and ASPS for polar alignment and plate-solving respectively.  Without them I think it would be impossible to use for astro-photography.   There is no polar scope...they have a hole that runs through the axis which they want you to look through and find Polaris.  It's completely useless.  The second problem is adjusting the base.  The only way to adjust it is to loosen the base and move it right / left.  It can be done, but it's not like there are adjustment bolts.  I spend a lot of time with polar alignment even with SharpCap.

If the mount is used strictly as advertised and according to its specs you should be fine.   I have been using mine successfully with  400mm and 70-200 lenses.  Keep in mind it is a $500 (CDN) mount and like all things in life you get what you pay for.  All in all I am happy with it, but it has some considerations.  also suggest you read through the support group.  https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN.

Visual observing with a small refractor and the tablet / Explore Stars App I give it a 4/5 stars because of cost and full features.

Astrophotgraphy maybe between 2-3 starts because of polar and star alignment challenges, but in the end I'm at a place where I'm taking 3 minute guided exposures on a $500 mount...so that's pretty good.

I will say that support is excellent.  Jerry Hubbell the Explore Scientific VP of engineering is active on the support forum as well as Kent Marts their support lead.  Both are great guys and very helpful.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Edited by Chris Tardif
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chris,

Thanks for a very useful reply.

The polar aligning tube has worried me. I've seen suggestions that a polar scope upgrade may be in the planning (but when?)

I've looked at the forums you suggest and have come to the conclusion that I would probably have to buy a new tablet.

I do want to do some photography but my opportunities are limited, I have to travel to find an observing site. So set up time and ease of transport are important to me.

This is what drew me to this mount. However, I am also concerned about it's payload capacity, recently seen it quoted as 5kg. (although most list it as 6.8kg for photography)

I have finally decided to spend somewhat more money and go for a Skywatcher EQM-35 pro. (higher payload, polarscope, synscan controller, sturdier tripod)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Tardif said:

They do have a polar scope in development.  No firm ETA, but they are testing and I think it will be out by the end of the summer. 

Do you have a link to where this was discussed? I was really interested in this mount for DSLR work but the lack of a polar scope made it a non-starter.

Thanks!

I use a DSLR on mine.  I also have it set up for autoguiding.  I don't think you're going to get sharp images without autoguiding unless you have short exposures.   I am using a 400mm lens with 3 minute exposures. 

I found the link: https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/3767?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,prototype,20,2,0,32000376 

I use SharpCap for PA and it works well.  

I am a big fan of my "little mount that could"......It's managed to do everything I asked of it so far.  Although today I'm going to ask it to hold my new 102mm FCD-100 which I am going to pick up right now! 

In the mean time:

THE RIG.jpg

Thanks for the info and the link. I opted for the Skyguider Pro and can get 2:00-2:30 exposures pretty easy at 250mm. I've only had a chance to do 400mm once and got 1:15-1:30 but it was pretty unbalanced so I had to throw away about 35% of them. (Second counterweight ordered.)

I'm not really interested in guiding since 3:00 is about the limit for my skies and I don't want to be tethered to a laptop. I like being able to pick up my rig and walk out the front door to image.

I'd love to know how long you can go at 400mm unguided as I would upgrade in a heartbeat to have go-to capability if I could do even 2:00-2:30. With the Skyguider Pro, I'm ready to image in 5 minutes but it takes me 10 to find my target.

BTW, your setup looks nice.

Cheers!

Just to jump in here 🤗 This is a photo I managed to take with my Sharpstar 72ED 400mm on my Star Adventurer Unguided 7 x 60 second subs.  Not really polar aligned, got it roughly aligned using PS.Align Pro iPhone app. Canon 700d Un-Modified.

Eta Carinae Nebula 2019 Sharpstar.jpg

SA-Carenae.jpg

• 3 months later...

The mount is just an amazing piece of equipment. I've had only positive experience with it. I've been doing AP using this mount for a couple of months now and was able to get pin point stars at 1350mm with my Celestron C5. Ot takes some time to learn how to use the mount but it's totally worth it. I had to add an additional counterweight to balance the scope though. Here is the Dumbbell Nebula at 1350mm.

Final66x120.jpg

• Like 2