Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need pictures of M4 and Alpha Scorpii

So I've been trying to find M4 since yesterday. Last night was quite cloudless but I failed to find the cluster because it was misplaced on the star chart I was using. 

Today I cross checked its position on several maps and planned to use Antares  to star hop, but for some reason I couldn't get the star in my fov. Once I thought I had found it but it didn't look as bright as I had expected it to. Tried to go south from it to find M4 but didn't find anything. 

I live in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. It's quite polluted here(database says class 6 bortle, I suspect higher) and I'm using celestron astromaster 130eq reflector. Even pointing at Antares is quite difficult from here. If anybody here can share pictures/sketches of what the fov looks like when pointing at m4 and Antares, I'll be very grateful. 

Hi, I assume your scope has a red dot finder which makes it difficult to hop to faint objects so I have looked at hops using your 20mm eyepiece.

First centre on Antares .

image.thumb.png.a8d09711fb35b928feeb86a4c7d66676.png

Now centre on the 9th Mag star near NGC6144

image.thumb.png.1808e859a22137eb1ddc000518f8b0a9.png

Now move to another 9th Mag, HIP80493

image.thumb.png.9f94ba002f986faedf165d8b00f55b54.png

And with a bit of luck M4 should be in the FOV. It will look small & faint.

These screen shots are from Stellarium which is a free download from here;  http://stellarium.org/

Good luck!

Edited by lenscap
correction
  • Like 1

Antares should rise much higher in the sky in Bangladesh than it does in the UK. 

If you download the program 'Stellarium' you can do the fov sketch yourself - enter your telescope details in the program and it will show you on screen what M4 will look like if you select it and then go to the telescope view feature. (If you don't read instructions, use the items at top right of the screen 🙂).

If you have a finderscope properly set up on your 130EQ, then getting Antares in the main telescope FOV should be a no-brainer.  If necessary, get the finder set up by aiming the scope(s) at a distant object in daylight.