Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mains Power Adaptor for HitecAstro DC Focus Controller

Hi all

I’ve just ordered a HitecAstro DC Focus Controller. It hasn’t arrived yet but I notice that it only comes with one of those cigarette lighter plugs. I want to use mine with mains power so I have been looking for an adaptor to use.

I’m a bit of duffer when it comes to electrics and I was wondering if someone could please advise whether this cheap ebay offering might be suitable for my needs ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-240V-Mains-Plug-to-12V-DC-Car-Charger-Power-Adapter/264236000000?epid=1189921185&hash=item3d85b16300:g:~RgAAOSw1Fdch5hi

If it’s not suitable could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary,

This is just my thoughts - other opinions are available and may differ 🙂 

No real specification given but I would bet it is a cheap switched mode power supply from China. So I am sure it will power your controller. BUT, how reliable it will be in the long term is anybodies guess and whether when it fails it does so in a safe manner and does not send a huge voltage out for a short time taking out your controller again is anybodies guess.

So personally I would not like to say, it could work fine for many years, it could fail at some stage and if it is a real cheapo it could take out the controller. 

Another thing to consider (in my opinion) is that we use these things outside in some cold damp conditions and even though we may cover them or put them inside other weatherproof boxes they still can get covered in dew, even frost, so I think all power supplies should be a better quality than we would use indoors.

Apart from damage to our expensive equipment poor quality mains equipment and damp can be damaging to ourselves.

Just my thoughts. They must be others on this forum that use these, or similar, so maybe better to try and find out what others use and if they are reliable before spending the cash.

One other point I would add is that (again personally) I do not really like these cigarette lighter type connectors even though a host of astronomy kit uses them so without cutting them off and re-soldering alternatives we are forced to use them, I have had issues with them dislodging slightly from the sockets in the middle of the night and causing an intermittent supply. So if possible when the plug is fully in the socket put a bit of tape around the plug and socket to prevent it pushing itself out. Some better sockets do have a bit of a lock when the plug is pushed in and twisted to the correct angle which are better but still not great.

Steve

Gary

I use a car jump start battery pack

No need for power leads then, across damp grass at night

Just another option

Have used mine up to a week at astrofests, with my ED80 on EQ5pro mount

John

jump start pack.jpg

Hi Gary.

Another caution based on experiences with 'Made In China' products sold on Amazon Marketplace..

No way is this a 60W LINEAR power supply. At this power/volume ratio it has to be switched mode.

If the seller gets this wrong, what else in specification and performance can you trust?

When it arrives, before plugging in......

Open up the mains plug and check the fuse. Often 13A fuses are fitted by default. Something like this PSU should use a 3A fuse.
I have even seen fake fuses in products sold by Amazon. If in doubt swap for one from an assured source.

Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage it produces without a load connected. It should 12V, or only slightly more.

Now connect a car headIamp bulb. These tend to be 55W or 60W so will load the supply to its claimed capability.
Measure the voltage driving the bulb. It should be similar to the 'no load' value, only slightly lower.
Leave the supply running the headlamp bulb for an hour and check for overheating.

If in doubt buy from the likes of FLO. They know how you will be using a power supply, so should not sell you something unsuitable or unsafe.

Just my two pennorth based on experience.

David.

Archived