NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saxon HEq5 Pro or Saxon AZ-EQ6 GT mount.

bluesilver

Hi,  just a basic question,  but interested to hear and reviews or advice.
I was looking at going with either a Saxon HEq5 Pro vs Saxon AZ-EQ6 GT mount.
The telescope to be going onto it would be the Sky Rover ULT 115 ED Glass Triplet 115mm APO Refractor Telescope
Plus also possibly the addition of a Canon SLR camera.
 Would both mounts be perfectly capable and well suited of this setup,  or is one going to be better suited more than the other?

I have done a bit of researching around on the two,  the Saxon HEq5 Pro seams popular and is gear driven bu the Saxon AZ-EQ6 GT is belt driven but no so much review information on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Peter.

They look suspiciously like re-branded Skywatcher mounts, so you can find loads of reviews\info on this site.

I have an AZ-EQ6, which works fine, but one thing I'd say about the HEQ5 is that many peeps upgrade it to belt driven. In any case, there's a good chance that some 'fettling' will be required for either mount after you've used it for a while.

If these mounts are simply Skywatcher rebrands, either will be fine for your setup. It's a choice of lower cost/less weight (HEQ5) or more features/higher payload (AZEQ6). The HEQ5 could be easily upgraded to belt driven should you pick it.

Archived