NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Name this scope.

Hi, 

A friend has asked me to identify this scope for them. To me it looks like it could be an old Orion scope, maybe a 6" with a decent focal length, at least f/6 by the looks of it. The mount looks like some kind of EQ5? 

Any thoughts beyond this? It could  even be an old Bresser? 

Either way it looks like a proper scope, and she was asking if it was decent or not :) 

It will need a finderscope though. 

61610936_388460358425496_8787356294223757312_n.jpg

Edited by Lockie

14 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Any thoughts beyond this? It could  even be an old Bresser?

Given the fairly large Bresser Messier branding stamped on the bottom of the tube I'd say that's a pretty good guess. If your friend can get a close up of the silver data plate under the focuser that will give all the necessary details. The mount looks like the standard Bresser one (Exos 2?). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

Given the fairly large Bresser Messier branding stamped on the bottom of the tube I'd say that's a pretty good guess. If your friend can get a close up of the silver data plate under the focuser that will give all the necessary details. The mount looks like the standard Bresser one (Exos 2?). 

lol I was trying to make that branding out, cheers. You've got better eyes than me :) The mount was the thing that made me think Bresser with that distinctive tripod head, and the big silver grip for tightening up the dovetail. 

I'll ask if she can take a close up of that plate so we can see which model it is!

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

lol I was trying to make that branding out, cheers. You've got better eyes than me

I've got an advantage because that logo stares me in the face every time I sit at my dob 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lockie said:

lol I was trying to make that branding out, cheers. You've got better eyes than me :) The mount was the thing that made me think Bresser with that distinctive tripod head, and the big silver grip for tightening up the dovetail. 

I'll ask if she can take a close up of that plate so we can see which model it is!

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I've got an advantage because that logo stares me in the face every time I sit at my dob 😉

Well guys, here we have it :) 

61271197_309268349951325_3684875858847203328_n.jpg

• Like 1

6" f/8 Newt on a EQ mount should be very good for Lunar and Planetary. 

I think she wanted to know value on the second hand market. If the mirror is decent, and the bearings on the mount, I'm thinking around the £200 mark. Any thoughts? 

6 minutes ago, Lockie said:

6" f/8 Newt on a EQ mount should be very good for Lunar and Planetary. 

I think she wanted to know value on the second hand market. If the mirror is decent, and the bearings on the mount, I'm thinking around the £200 mark. Any thoughts? 

I'd guess 150-200, depending on the buyer(s). Competing with a new Skyliner 150p might push the price down. 

4 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think all manufacturers should do that!

Yeah, they've not kept it up with the new ones as far as I remember.