NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whale and Hockey Stick Galaxies

A long wait for clear skies on the  29th was rewarded with better than usual seeing. 63 of 65 2-minute subs were usual before the Evil Tree started to enter the frames; with clear skies earlier I might have got even more frames. This is probably the first DSO I have done where dithering has really paid off, thanks to a combination of reasonably good guiding and oversampled image.

1805221063_MegaWhale.thumb.png.14c2937b5e92b72b8f38c8f1f420a711.png

Brilliant Neil.  You can really see how the names of the these both came about!  I did try this one myself the past couple of nights.  I wasted an hour thinking I could fit both into the frame.  I couldnt and ended up with neither being in the frame, but your FOV is perfect!  What kit are you using?

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Brilliant Neil.  You can really see how the names of the these both came about!  I did try this one myself the past couple of nights.  I wasted an hour thinking I could fit both into the frame.  I couldnt and ended up with neither being in the frame, but your FOV is perfect!  What kit are you using?

That's the 130P-DS with Canon 450D, cropped to a quarter frame and drizzled x2. Definitely the best detail I've got on a galaxy - if I can duplicate that on M51 or even M32 or M33 I will be very happy.

Archived