Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 150PDS vs Equinox 80 for astrophotography

Hi, I'm currently using a skywatcher 150PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount for mono ccd astrophotography. Recently I noticed someone selling a Equinox 80 Apo refractor at a reasonable price and I'm tempted to have one. But before that I'm trying to work out the difference the apo can bring and decide if I really should go for that.

The main reason I'm looking at this Equinox 80 is that it will give me a better field of view for certain astro targets. F ratio wise, the Equinox 80 is F6.2, and with a field flattener it will be of a very similar F ratio as my current 150PDS. But because of the size of aperture, 150PDS has almost twice the diameter of Equinox 80, does it mean that I need 4x the guiding time if I'm using Equinox 80 compared to my 150PDS, to have the same luminance?

Any advise on this topic?

Thanks.

It's worth getting if you need wider FOV for certain targets.

Exposure time for same SNR compared to 150PDS is not as straight forward to calculate - it depends on host of factors.

In general, you won't need x4 as much exposure if you use the same camera. Although aperture is almost x4 larger (well, quite a bit less than that, because of two reflective surfaces and central obstruction and slightly less than twice diameter), focal length is shorter too - meaning sampling resolution is also lower - larger piece of sky falls onto single pixel and that means that more light of target is gathered by single pixel.

It may turn out that Equinox with field flattener / focal reducer is even "faster" than 150PDS when all things are accounted for.

Archived