NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eye peice spacer

I recently purchased a very nice binoviewer with 2 20mm EPs. Unlike regular binos there doesnt seem to be a way to balance the focus. I find the left EP to be out of focus. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a spacer to allow for minor extention of an EP in this case.

47 minutes ago, dc240969 said:

Just ignore me, adjustment is on the right. Williams.

Alternatively, just pull one of the two out that requires the most out focus and leave the diopter adjustment all the way down.  I've found that my Acrturus binoviewer's diopter adjusters throw the eyepieces out of collimation as they're rotated.  This despite them being seated all the way down with no undercut on the barrel for the collet to tilt into.  It took me a bit to figure out this was happening.  I verified it by rotating either side while looking at a merged image of a planet.  The rotating eyepiece's image takes a nice, circular trip and returns to collimation after a full turn of the adjuster.

I also can't use the diopter adjuster with zooms because there is no way to lock the position of the adjuster except to torque it all the way down.  If it is not locked down, the adjuster will rotate more easily than the zoom collar.

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

Alternatively, just pull one of the two out that requires the most out focus and leave the diopter adjustment all the way down.  I've found that my Acrturus binoviewer's diopter adjusters throw the eyepieces out of collimation as they're rotated.  This despite them being seated all the way down with no undercut on the barrel for the collet to tilt into.  It took me a bit to figure out this was happening.  I verified it by rotating either side while looking at a merged image of a planet.  The rotating eyepiece's image takes a nice, circular trip and returns to collimation after a full turn of the adjuster.

I think it is worth noting that this must be a fault with your particular pair of binoviewers. Mine remain collimated however the two dioptres are rotated. However, it would be better if the dioptres could be locked once set to prevent unwanted rotation. Hopefully it is something solved by the new maxbrights when they are finally released. 

14 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I think it is worth noting that this must be a fault with your particular pair of binoviewers. Mine remain collimated however the two dioptres are rotated. However, it would be better if the dioptres could be locked once set to prevent unwanted rotation. Hopefully it is something solved by the new maxbrights when they are finally released. 

I only paid $150 for them 5 years ago, so I'm not too upset.  I haven't been able to pin down if it is the adjuster threads or the collet itself causing this misalignment.  I'm just glad they align well when all the way down.

Archived