Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon (10/04/19, 9pm BST)

rob_r

Last night was by far the clearest night we have had for a while in northwest England near Preston. I managed to get this shot just before the moon disappeared behind the roofline of my house. I have no views out to the west due to street lighting from road. I setup the scope in my back garden which really only offers 90 degrees either side of due East. This was taken using a Canon 600d with a T-ring adaptor and a SkyWatcher 127 AZ-GTI. I took it by turning the camera landscape as the moon wouldn't fit within the viewer portrait. I manually aligned the scope as time was against me too. Even at 9pm, it was still fairly light too. A little grainy due to the ISO, I guess I could have reduced it and increased the shutter speed at little. Quite happy with it for a quick single shot though and still quite new to all this. A few early test shots seem to show Earthshine, the unlit part of the moon was a deep blue but the lit part was completely blown out.

Camera: Canon EOS 600D
Scope: Skywatcher 127
Exposure time: 1/320
ISO: 6400

IMG_7157.jpg

Some great detail there, especially on the lower half.

If I may offer a bit of advice, although I am a newcomer myself. When photographing the Moon it's better to have your ISO as low as 100 or 200. ISO is sensitivity to light and a higher setting is generally for a darker setting such as whole night sky, and brings more sensor generated noise into the image. If you were to drop the ISO down to say 200, then you would compensate by lowering the exposure time to around 1/200s - 1/150s and this should be a slightly less noisy result.

On 12/04/2019 at 21:20, Startinez said:

Some great detail there, especially on the lower half.

If I may offer a bit of advice, although I am a newcomer myself. When photographing the Moon it's better to have your ISO as low as 100 or 200. ISO is sensitivity to light and a higher setting is generally for a darker setting such as whole night sky, and brings more sensor generated noise into the image. If you were to drop the ISO down to say 200, then you would compensate by lowering the exposure time to around 1/200s - 1/150s and this should be a slightly less noisy result.

Thanks. I just posted another shot over the weekend. I dropped the ISO on that one to 800 and seems to improve the resulting shots.

Archived