Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher wifi an SGP

jaygpoo

Hi gang. I have just brought a eq5 goto mount an have a wifi dongle that I want to use. I have downloaded the app and ascom driver to my laptop and the app works as it should. However when I connect it to SGP it connects and all seems ok but when you select a target an click slew to nothing happens. Unpark in SGP and try again it may work? Sometimes it slews and if you do slew to a target and then want to move to a new target  it refuses. You can always press park in SGP and it works so have any of you  got a dongle and had similar problems. I so want to use it through SGP as I plate solve and recentre quite a lot..

Just guessing, is it in tracking when it refuses to slew? Skywatcher mounts will refuse to slew if they aren't tracking.

An other thing too consider is the WiFi signal strength. It seems a point to point connection. I have a blue tooth dongle but it only became reliable after I reduced the wireless distance to a meter (using an USB  cable at the desktop side) rather then 3 meters.

Simple test - even in the day time - Assuming your have hibernated else you will have to realign - using just the App (NO SGP connected) - unpark ,choose a target in the Synscan App and Goto - if that slews its SGP.

Hint you can copy the directory that contains the Synscan App to another directory and delete the "settings" file in the new directory - you than will have to re-input your Location but no Alignment data will be saved (it uses the Settings file to store data). This way you are basically starting from afresh but still have your existing folder containing Synscan App.

P.S. You didn' say what you are running Synscan App on - Windows,Android or Pear(or something like that)

Then do the above test a least you maybe wiser to where the problem lies - I did say "maybe" ?

What version of Synscan App (assume pro) and Synscan Ascom Mobile driver  are you using ?

11 hours ago, jaygpoo said:

app and ascom driver to my laptop and the app works as it should

What exactly does this mean - does it slew ok after unparking ? Have you done Alignment(1,2,or 3 star) from wihin Synscan App ?

Do you use a Software Planetarium (e.g. CDC etc) and can you Slew using that ?

Have you checked your cables and is the power supply working ok ?

Are you sure that SGP has "Unparked" the Scope - i.e. does the Synscan App show its unparked after doing SGP unpark ?

Sorry for questions ?

Archived