Image request - Plough widefield showing Polaris.

ollypenrice

Hi All,

An old friend, Dave Price, has written a book on paddleboarding and has asked me if I might have a widefield image of the Plough which included Polaris to show his readers how to find it. I don't have such an image and it isn't within the range of the kit I normally use but I'm sure someone has a good one. There is no money involved but there will be an image credit in the book. If you'd care to help perhaps you could PM me?

Cheers,

Olly

Hi Olly, this is the kind of thing I have, a 30 second shot with a 14mm lens (corrected with a lens profile in PS). It doesn't exactly jump off the screen so I don't think it would be up to the job, but at least it splits Alcor and Mizar. 

1148414980_UrsaMajorandUrsaMinor1080.thumb.JPG.6f2de4ecf33aa65f750caaf4517dd786.JPG

1832227041_UrsaMajorandUrsaMinorPlateSolved.thumb.jpg.06be4d03898102f10ce5e1fe00efb5aa.jpg

The plate solving is a bit off kilter as this semi-fisheye lens produces quite a bit of distortion.

Probably my most successful 'constellation' shot is this one of the head of Draco, using a 50mm lens.

1819366510_TheHeadofDraco1080.thumb.JPG.4053691bbbc54d25d020b76f2b8a097c.JPG

It was taken on a really hazy night, so hazy that the diffraction spikes from the lens diaphragm are almost invisible. I believe some people have managed a similar effect by using a fogging filter on the front of the lens, could work well on the Plough if someone wants to give it a try.

Here's another showing the Plough in a different orientation.

2125630487_DraynesValleyNorth.thumb.JPG.50c76cf36ccf73e7551345653bc19e3c.JPG

On 03/04/2019 at 19:42, ollypenrice said:

...the Plough which included Polaris to show his readers how to find it...

If it's for navigational purposes the fact that the Plough can appear in different orientations might throw the non-astronomer off. Although if they are kayakers I'd have thought they would only have to worry about two directions, upstream and downstream. ;)

Archived