NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 3447 in Leo

Mike JW

I am sure I read recently a post by Martin Meredith on NGC 3447, but I cannot locate it (still getting use to the site). This prompted me to go take  a look. C9/ultrastar as usual.

NGC 3447, in Leo.

This is a fascinating interacting pair of galaxies. A cosmic mess as they collide and interact. The pair are approx 60 million lyrs away and belong to the Local Group 225. NGC 3447 is the larger of the two and would appear to have the remnant of a bar (hinted at in my image) and also the distorted remains of spiral arms, suggesting this was a barred spiral before the merry dance began.  NGC 3447A - the jury is out as to what galaxy type it was before  the interactions but generally folk suggest it was an irregular galaxy before the collision. Certainly irregular now. Hubble images show a faint filament linking them. Presumably the hot spots of star formation  in 3447 are caused by the interacting. In my image I seem to have captured a string of them (along the former galaxy bar).

So many cosmic delights to enjoy.

Mike

I tried doing 15 sec subs at first but it failed to capture the detail, so I went for 30 sec subs with the result as attached. Only processing was to brighten it slightly in Photoshop.

NGC_3447.2x2_2019.3.28_20_46_08.png.d778046c8dd155a5879e4a97134985de.png

19 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Very nice image.

I first thought that this was a bit under exposed..... until I compared with other images online :)

Good capture. Well done.

What equipment did you use?

Hi, I use a C9.25 with the SL Ultrastar Mono, equatorial mounted. Appreciate your comments. Mike

Hi Mike

That's a real gem -- so many out there. I wonder if we can capture the filament?

No, I don't think I've seen this one. You might be thinking of my recent post on NGC 4449 which is quite similar. I will add it to my list.

At first when I saw your image I wondered whether it was NGC 3239 (Arp 263) that I was looking at last night. That's another irregular-looking pair with star-forming knots. I'll post some of last night's Arps later when I get a chance to look up a few more details.

Martin

6 minutes ago, Martin Meredith said:

No, I don't think I've seen this one. You might be thinking of my recent post on NGC 4449 which is quite similar. I will add it to my list.

Martin

Yes you are right, it was 4449 but I must have got 3447 from somewhere - old age!, memory going?

Mike

Archived