Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon and Jupiter

An interesting event happened while I was observing Jupiter this morning. A moon which was nowhere to be seen at 4am suddenly appeared to the west of Jupiter after 5am, as if it had just emerged from behind the planet, only to disappear again behind the planet about 10 minutes later. What had in fact happened was that Europa had been in the shadow of Jupiter and then briefly came out of the shadow before disappearing behind the planet. I was moving between observing the Moon and Jupiter and was not expecting this or I would have payed more attention to it. I need to check http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/ more often.

Got to see it but too much cloud, tree branches for pictures. Was an awesome site though none the less, if it wasent for my little dog Millie and her early morning routine I might not have seen it...Quite an observing buddy she is ?

Archived