Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worn grub screw removal....

Well the time has come to try and sort out the issue of my 1:10 upgrade on the Bresser 127L!. Small background first. I had the upgrade and fitted to the focuser https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-1-10-gear-set-for-hex-focuser.html

I did not have it from FLO BTW. As my wife bought me the scope & 1:10 a few years back from Telescope House. The main focus knob is very smooth. The 1:10 basically works when it wants too. I can spin the main knob, and the 1:10 fine focus will rotate but randomly stops (like its not interfacing correctly) I have seen a post on CN where others have had issues. They have found poor gunky grease and the lack of on the main bearing housing. A clean & new lithium grease seems to sort everything!.

Now on too the the present. Last year I tried to remove the upgrade and found the grub had bitten tight. I only nipped this up when fitting!.. subsequently the hex interface has lost its bit, so I just cant remove it. I've found an article where using a touch of superglue to the end of the allen key could help to bond and release the grub screw. Of course the screw & allen key can not be used again (least of my worries!). Has anyone tried this?.. is there another way. The grub is so small

This has been bothering me for so long

Archived