Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meteor Detection with RTL-SDR

I knew that I have somewhere on my HDD saved some files

Date 6 October 2019

Time 14:03:19 Local Time (Austria)

From image I guess it exploded into multiple parts but I would love to hear also your opinions

meteor SL.jpg

meteor Console V3.png

Edited by Emil Kolbert

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have understood until now it is mostly unlikely to directly receive the Graves signal.

Today I let the system running for some hours and after inspecting the captured data I think I have found something.

Can be some sort of atmospheric ducting/conditions that made the reception possible?

Attached the screen and audio  data for those events.

event20200412_110007_45.jpg

event20200412_111555_51.jpg

event20200412_112643_54.jpg

event20200412_112657_55.jpg

event20200412_112726_56.jpg

event20200412_105944_45.wav event20200412_111533_51.wav

Edited by Emil Kolbert

Hi Emil.

I receive a tropo type signal most times, located in IO90UV but a poor take off towards GRAVES.
I cannot be sure it is a direct signal as I cannot normally work French stations past Paris on 2metres.

Signal comes and goes with very weak aircraft reflections as well.

Sometimes I get satellites like ISS and also Moon echos.

Mike G1HWY.

• 2 months later...
On 20/10/2019 at 16:24, Geminids said:

Hallo Stormchaser on Stornoway 

Don't know why I hadn't seen your posting of June 28th before - but now I have 🙂 This is a really interesting study you are doing particularly in mapping out the regions of the sky that return scattering from GRAVES.   It adds to the Narvarro paper that  wxsatuser referred me to in a recent posting in another thread.  Those rear/side lobes are mainly unknown and the fact that they are from a reflection from the ground with local buildings giving clutter makes them even more difficult (impossible?) to predict.  If you have any more evidence of ISS or other satellites I would be most interested.  Also, what do you use for satellite location reporting?

Hello @Geminids,

I'm really sorry for the super late reply. I had lost access and only now was able to remember what email I had used.

In any case, I continued recording what ISS transits I could, and also many of the new megaconstellation Starlink passages of the earlier launches. I still have to compile a map like the one I posted here (hoping that I can go that far back on heavens-above, which I use to get the satellite data on the world map) and I hope that my MRes will leave me a bit of time to do it.

I managed to get this one from yesterday's passage, one of the best ISS echoes I've ever captured, but it was further South compared to the ones of that map.

image.png.4631aea510e2bcfd1b43e15fd6ebf4d5.png

image.png.1b92b203c7592f48a1c4584f090677a0.png

Only think I can say for now, is that the study continues.

Edited by Stormchaser
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welsome back! That is a really strong one.  Keep on with the study - all valuable information.  ISS is one of the biggest targets we see but unfortunately I think, from memory, its orbit is limited to something like 51 deg N.  I did start to think about other large satellites that come further N - and hence help map out the side lobes - but 😞 I was sidetacked on another project. 

Thank you!

It was indeed one of the strongest I managed to register. Orbit is limited, indeed, and from here we are near those very limits. However, it is doable, so I will continue to monitor.

Regarding the ISS and the Starlink Trains, I got four more transits of the first, and one of the 7th series, but I need to start drawing everything on a map properly, otherwise all of this will not be very precise.

On 01/07/2020 at 21:04, Stormchaser said:

Regarding the ISS and the Starlink Trains, I got four more transits of the first, and one of the 7th series, but I need to start drawing everything on a map properly, otherwise all of this will not be very precise.

Agreed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just started Watching for radio reflections from meteors I'm getting a good forward scatter from GRAVES in Durham at 143.048 .000 Hz.  I am using SDR# and spectrum labs with a NooElec NESDR SMArt XTR SDR, with a range of 55 MHz – 2300 MHz and a E4000 Tuner IC and a Yagi 5 element antenna in the loft.

event210629171929.thumb.jpg.dd923a296d3cc80fef994678b7455884.jpg

event210629155355.jpg

event210629160205.jpg

event210629160804.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After a wild storm my Yagi antenna died so I had to improvise. Now Im using the QFH antenna that I use for NOOA satellites.

Please take a look at the attached image, I had for quite some time a weak signal that presents a Doppler effect and it is something that is moving away from the receiver, can that be a airplane?

Receiver is an RSPduo.
Thank you
Emil

event20210803_054706_24.jpg

event20210803_052901_10.jpg

Edited by Emil Kolbert
Second imaged attached
  • Like 1